Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Late season hunting >

Late season hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season hunting

Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Late season hunting

I'd like to get some advice regarding late season bow hunting in Wi. I've hunted bow most of my life, but have never had any luck during the late season. Any advice in finding that elusive deer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would hunt food sources....with the winter weather here or on its way, the deer will be looking for food to help their bodies get through the rough winter....try and find a place between a bedding area and food....that would be my suggestion....good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Spike

Agreed. Food and cover are where it's at. Also te best time to get out is right after a snow storm. Snow also help you in figuring where the deer are moving at this time. Use this to your advantage.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Spike

Food sources, edges of farm fields. I see deer in cut corn & bean fields on the way from work all the time. If there is still standing corn around I would try there.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in southern wisconsin and I focus on the food. I am able to hunt private land and set up places with standing beans and standing corn. If you can find a standing bean field that is my number 1 go to. The more snow on the ground the better and the colder it is the better. The weather will make big deer be on their feet with shooting light left. Also pay close attention to the weather. Sometimes a small break in a cold snap of only 10 degree increase can get the deer moving earlier also. Be very careful with entry and exit routes, as deer are already on high alert at this point in the season.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

food....standing soybeans are great in Illinois late season
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Heres what I do.....

When the acorns drop early fall I collect as much as I can. This year I "raked in" apprx. 30 gallons then freeze them (it's a must, they will rot). I have a stand in a Oak that sits on the edge of my swamp, I put out a couple of gallons a sit, let me tell you, every year I have the bucks in the swamp on that stand every time I'm out. I usually wait until mid DEC, they are pretty rested up after the rut and looking to put on the fat they burned. It Works! Takes dedication and patience, but it will pay off.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lately around my place in Ashland County,Wisconsin. i have been seeing deer scraping up the snow around acorn tree's, So maybe try hunting in acorn patches if you can? other than that just hunt where the people above me said or on the edge of a good thick pine swamp or just in a pine thicket. deer LOVE them to bed in and get outta the snow! Also they eat the pine branches.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

You didn't say where in Wisconsin... Wisconsin has many differing terrains.
Everyone seems to say food right away. I agree that food is important to deer at this time of the year, but just like early season it would be really tough to get a "mature" buck to come walking into a corn or bean field in day light. I personally monter where they are feeding, but hunt them close to where they bed. I have been fortunate to have taken some nice bucks in late season in Wisconsin, most within 200 yards of there bedding area ( usually closer ) and usually right before dark...
Sure, occasionally a buck will make a mistake a go to the field to early. But I have not had much luck with hoping they make a mistake.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Nope, I will be the decenter in the group. You need to hunt the thickets. It's not easy getting into them quietly. So I reccomend getting into them an hour before shooting light. Big bucks, any bucks for that matter are very skittish by now. There is only one place they feel comfortable and that is in the thickets. They will go there before shooting hours and remain all day until dark. You only need a small shooting lane or 2 in there. The bucks will move around relaxed off and on throughout the day to stretch their legs. Don't do any calling. Just be patient and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.