Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Open Rage flight pattern? >

Open Rage flight pattern?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open Rage flight pattern?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Open Rage flight pattern?

Two questions here

1. Put yourself in my shoes. Very large buck (180+) at 30 yards and closing. I draw back my DXT and when I reach my full draw my rage opens up(im guessing due to an above normal draw speed and force thanks to my massive adrenaline rush) . The buck continues on the trail and passes just over 10 yards away. Due to the fact that I have never shot an open rage I did not shoot and let the deer walk. I feel as if I owe it to any animal, especially one of that caliber to leave as little as possible up for chance. I have never shot an open rage and do not know if the flight would have changed, maybe resulting in a wounded deer. I feel as if I made the right choice. What would you do?

2. Has anyone ever tested the ability for a rage to fly true when opening prior to the shot? If so what did you find out??

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Seen it done on TV. To prove they fly great.

I was wondering if they fly so great open then why make them closed at all?

Best thing I can tell you is to open one and shoot it.

I agree the animal does deserve the best from the hunter. Good choice on not chancing your shot on a buck that can be a lifetime buck.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Without going to my shed to look, is it a "given" that an open rage head will perform (even if it does fly true) as designed?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

twice i have had them open in flight as soon as i release while practicing. the flight i have got with those two are loud buzzing and random flight, one was about 8 inches to right and up. you did the right thing. after them opening up on me in practice i would check them every ten minutes to see if they were still closed. a big hassle. they never opened when i shot at an animal but im switching to fixed blade just for the reliability and not having to worry.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do this for a little extra piece of mind!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Good for you for having the discipline to hold off on the shot! Maybe you will get another chance to tag him. The situation you described is exactly why I don't shoot mechanicals! I know alot of guys swear by them but they just aren't for me. Good luck getting another crack at him!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

I personally like reapers for mechanical as there is no bands and take a little force to fold back the blades.

Fixed blade I like slick tricks.

Crap happens fast in the woods and don't need something to distract me
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was a fixed guy ..then someone told me bout the most awesome retractables ever...so i switched...ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED when it came down to it. I made the move back to fixed, i will never go back. i have the 1st pack i ever bought...$35 magnus snuffers..6 to a box..i used 3 for practice, and 3 fer huntin...til i figured out how to sharpen them..(lay flat on wet sand paper and rub to sharpen).now i use 5 fer hunting, and 6 fer practice...dont think i have ever put a field tip back on it since.
mechs seem to break everyones' heart...those it hasnt, we'll give it time.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i was a fixed guy ..then someone told me bout the most awesome retractables ever...so i switched...ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED when it came down to it. I made the move back to fixed, i will never go back. i have the 1st pack i ever bought...$35 magnus snuffers..6 to a box..i used 3 for practice, and 3 fer huntin...til i figured out how to sharpen them..(lay flat on wet sand paper and rub to sharpen).now i use 5 fer hunting, and 6 fer practice...dont think i have ever put a field tip back on it since.
mechs seem to break everyones' heart...those it hasnt, we'll give it time.
did magnus go up in price since you bought them? ive been checking them out online and i thought it said 35$ for 3. i might be mistaken though. im really interested in that head.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lifesadrag
I do this for a little extra piece of mind!

i did something like that this season too with a little gum band

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.