HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Big 8 thats been giving me the slip (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/354972-big-8-thats-been-giving-me-slip.html)

rutt 12-07-2011 01:05 PM

Big 8 thats been giving me the slip

I've been trying to stick this 8 since I first aquired permission to hunt the property back during the last week of October.I have yet to see it in the woods from my stand.I've got daytime trail camera pictures of it on the last couple days of October,and twice during the first week of November.Lots of night shots though.Sure is a slippery critter.Checkout how dark those hock glands are,and how far the stain runs down its back legs.

G Dubya 12-09-2011 12:41 PM

beautiful buck, love that dark rack

bronko22000 12-09-2011 01:29 PM

Very nice buck. And look at that cover. You could walk 15 yds past him and you would never see him if he held tight. About the only way that you will get him is persistance and possibly agressive moves. Its getting late in the season. Try still hunting his bedroom. Moving slowly, very slowly. 100 yds in 1/2 hour. Take a step, look around, take another step, look around. Be sure the wind is in your face.
Or you can try grunting him in. One or two short grunts every 15 mins to 1/2 hour and use ample amounts of buck urine.
Obviously your trees stand location isn't his primary stomping grounds.

rutt 12-09-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3887416)
Very nice buck. And look at that cover. You could walk 15 yds past him and you would never see him if he held tight. About the only way that you will get him is persistance and possibly agressive moves. Its getting late in the season. Try still hunting his bedroom. Moving slowly, very slowly. 100 yds in 1/2 hour. Take a step, look around, take another step, look around. Be sure the wind is in your face.
Or you can try grunting him in. One or two short grunts every 15 mins to 1/2 hour and use ample amounts of buck urine.
Obviously your trees stand location isn't his primary stomping grounds.

Your suggestion about hunting this buck cannot be applied to this location due to the fact that this is a suburban buck,and the amount of land I'm limited to is 6 acres.Right over the bucks rear is a couple of houses only 100 yards away.You are right about the cover beyond the buck being thick.It is a swamp with about 1-2 feet of water in sections and small mounds within it.200 yards from the edge of the swamp you are looking at is another road with some big expensive homes.The deer run the edge of this swamp and the woods the buck is standing in.Just over the buck you can also see a beech tree branch with leaves;and right below it is a huge 5 foot scrape (slightly covered with fallen leaves now).There are about 3 other smaller scrapes around this tree also.All together,it is a pretty tight piece of cover,but the deer (including some other good bucks I got on camera)use frequently.

bronko22000 12-09-2011 06:59 PM

Well then the only thing you can do is spend as much time in the stand as possible. Maybe you'll get lucky.

*twodogs* 12-12-2011 08:53 AM

Move your climber to another pinch point or funnel, seems the deer have you patterned.

RidgeFACTOR 12-12-2011 12:54 PM

What state are you hunting in?

lifesadrag 12-12-2011 02:49 PM

Good luck with that guy.....nice buck for sure, hopefully no one else got him. When was the last time you got him on camera?

SouthDakotaHunter 12-14-2011 04:15 PM

Looks like there is a small deer with him... Possibly a small young doe that is coming into estrus late? Not something I would normally think of this late in the season but since the season is ending soon anyway not going to hurt.... Could look at creating a mock scrape next to your stand and dump a bunch of doe in estrus urine (something like Tinks 69) in it... He may be intersted enough to check it out during daylight hours?

PastorJim08 12-17-2011 04:30 AM

He's really nice. Good luck.

Blessings......Pastorjim