HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How Do You Hunt the Midwest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/354971-how-do-you-hunt-midwest.html)

Geronimo 12-07-2011 11:48 AM

How Do You Hunt the Midwest?

How do you hunt the early season when the corn and soybeans are still up. I did it once and it seemed that the deer were bedded in the fields. I didn't see many bucks....is there a better way to score?

Bocajnala 12-07-2011 12:30 PM

I hunt off the edge of the fields. Catch them before they enter. SOmetimes that means being 50-100 yards off of the field edge, depending on where they are coming from before entering the fields. I would agree that they tend to head to the fields once they get some heavy pressure. But under normal conditions you should be able to catch them out of the fields.
-Jake

IOWABUCKHUNTR 12-07-2011 12:46 PM

Hunting major travel routes is the only surefire way of catching early season bucks in pattern. Deer are creatures of habit and will continue to use the same patterns until an external stimuli is produced (i.e. pressure). The best way to get on to a mature white-tail prior to the rut, is to find their travel routes and wait for all the necessities to align themselves. Perfect wind, temperature, time... Once those are present you should have no problem harvesting a mature timber pig.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-07-2011 06:48 PM

It really depends on your area. If your hunting an area that is. almost all corn and crop fields it can be tough as deer can stay for days in a cornfield if they have access to water...

I have had better early season hunting in areas that don't have a ton of crop fields but more alfalfa, hay, crp type fields... Just setup between their bedding areas and where they are feeding. If the deer aren't pressured they can be very easy to pattern...

petasux 12-08-2011 05:42 AM

Another thing you can do is go right out in the corn after em.Theres open spots in almost any field, waterways, flooded out spots, fencelines between fields, creeks, etc...Deer like these areas inside the cornfields, they like to bed in em out in the sun, they use them for travel, and it seems like if the corns been really wet from rain or something they like to come out into them to dry out.

Most times Ill set up on the downwind side of an open area inside the field with a good view of the whole opening, get back a few rows and just use the cornstalks to hide in.

nodog 12-08-2011 01:49 PM

You pretty much have it figured right. No reason for the critters to leave the corn and enter the woods till they're cut.

tight360 12-09-2011 09:13 PM

Never had a problem....

I sit on what would appear to be a slightly used trail that heads in and out of the fields that intersects a highly used one. I don't use scent or any type of bait. The slightly used trail in or near dense cover is your buck trail. Look for it, you'll see it and go "Ahhhh ya." I'm usually about forty yards off the field. Tagg'n out every year before firearm season.:deer:

mission17 12-10-2011 07:05 PM

what was said above is everything!