HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   peep sight, smaller or bigger? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/354753-peep-sight-smaller-bigger.html)

Whitetailaddict13 12-03-2011 10:02 AM

peep sight, smaller or bigger?

i have a very small/narrow peep sight on my bow it seems. when its really bright and the sun is high i can see through it just fine but when the sun sinks over the trees its a little trickier to see through it. obviously there is wider peep sights out there that allow more light in. will a bigger one kill my accuracy a little bit? and any suggestions on them?

GMMAT 12-03-2011 10:14 AM

Bigger the better for hunting.

You'll lose a little accuracy, if the halo around your sight housing gets too great. But, for hunting ditances (unless you're out west.....spot and stalk) for whitetails, 1/4" isn't too big.

bronko22000 12-03-2011 04:21 PM

Your peep should allow you to see your entire sight ring and maybe a little more. I prefer the 3/16" myself.

bigbulls 12-03-2011 04:40 PM

Fr hunting I use nothing smaller than 3/16" and prefer 1/4" and will use 5/16" if my sight housing is large enough to warrant it.

Those small peeps belong on target bows.

nodog 12-03-2011 04:48 PM

1/4" peep with a 2" sight on a slide so I can fit the ring of the sight just inside the peep. I've looked at going smaller but it reduces what I see of the animal so I never did. I can see till the peep doesn't glow, but it ain't easy and unless I'd been watching the thing for a while most likely wouldn't know if I was aiming at the right spot.

Low light shots are pretty tough for me no matter what.

blakefrautschi 12-03-2011 05:10 PM

i use an HHA sight, and the round housing around my pin fits perfectly to the edge of my peep, i feel like i'm more accurate with that than i would be with a smaller peep, because it's one more thing i line up perfectly.

Whitetailaddict13 12-03-2011 09:24 PM

well ill be looking to upgrade the size of my peep for sure. my mathews lx peep was bigger, my reezen peep just isnt cutting it. it wouldnt even be close to dark and i can hardly see my pin through my peep. just looks like its plugged solid as if theres no hole even there.

zmax hunter 12-08-2011 07:31 AM

Im 48, i dont wear glasses but my vision isnt what it used to be. I use a string splitter mini peep sight, it is awesome for lowlight situations. I currently have mine with the top of the "U" up, but have heard it works even better with it down. yes, i need to have my eyes checked,...:)

sgtbowhunter 12-09-2011 12:41 PM

I use a 1/4" G5 meta peep and can see the deer through the peep just about to the point that I can't see my sight pins anymore. 1/4" seems to be just about perfect balance for me.