Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Post-Rut Buck Core Areas >

Post-Rut Buck Core Areas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post-Rut Buck Core Areas

Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Spike

Default Post-Rut Buck Core Areas

After posting my last thread this new question came to mind. We know that bucks will travel miles during the rut looking for hot does. So when things cool down, do Bucks make a new core area where they end up with their cruising or will they go back to their original core area where they were in early season??
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I would say after the rut they will go back to their normal patterns to rest and becoming more nocturnal. However should a late hot doe cross their path I would say the chase would be on again just for her...

Bedding, and feeding areas would probably be the best though... I'm think of stalking corn fields as well.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Spike

In my experience most bucks head back to their core areas unless those areas are high pressure at that time. Post rut they want cover and food. Standing corn is #1 if available if not set up on thickets or nasty blow down areas next to food plots and cut corn fields. Winter wheat is also a solid food option. Most of these bucks are moving at night so get in early and stay late. Personally I don't call this time of year. I do as much as I can to minimize my presence this time of year. That means scent free, rubber boots, attention to wind direction and most importantly how I'm entering and exiting my stand.