Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bitterness

Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default Bitterness

Pennslvania's gun season opened today and for the first time in 17 years I didnt go out. The part I actually suprised myself about was that I didnt even miss it. I have became a HUGE bow hunter the last 3-4 years and could almost careless abut picking up a rifle to hunt whitetail. Another thing I find myself doin nowadays is becoming almost bitter towards irresponsible gun hunters who shoot anything that walks. My question is to you guys is do you ever have these feeling towards these type of hunters?!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't care for any irresponsible hunter regardless of what weapon they use.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
^^

Seems to be more common among gun hunters, but that may just be because there are more gun hunters to begin with. A bow takes more practice to be proficient with, but I do know a few bow hunters that need, er, more practice.

What does really tick me off is gun hunters that unload a weapon at a running deer. There's no way you can accurately place an ethical shot on an animal at a dead run.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

what he said, although the woods in MI are down right scary during our gun season. There have been several shooting deaths here already this year.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I get worse and worse every year. I have bowhunted exclusively for the better part of a decade. And it just rubs me wrong to hear those rifle shots ring out. I know that shouldn't, but it just does. It actually helps us for there to be alot of shots early on in the year, because our property almost seems like a sanctuary to the deer. But it stings to let young 8 pts walk only to have the guy next to you put him in the dirt. So I fuly understand what you're saying. My advice to you is to spend as much you can aford in creating desirable food sources for your herd. The deer will want to stay on your property and the bucks will cruise and scrape aroung those food sources.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Supaflav just but a up one of the main reasons that high fences are put up down here in Texas. Keeps the idiot neighbor from shooting the deer you have been feeding up 3 yrs old when you are trying to let them get up to their peak. But honestly I hunt with both rifle and gun so I do not feel any spite for my fellow hunters I enjoy both. If it is crunch time and I need to get something down I grab the rifle. If I am going to just relax and feel the need for a challenge I take the bow.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen to that.

I hunt with bow, rifle, and m/l. Like them all...and I don't begrude anyone else for what they choose to use...as long as they are responsible.

I have had my bouts with what you are feeling - back when I had alot more time and bowhunted primarily. The last few years as my kids have grown up some and I have no time (buried with sports, etc) I've gotten over those feelings and I'm back to enjoying rifle and m/l again. Hunting is fun for me again. I got a little burned out with "trying to get the big one with a bow", and ended up passing a ton of bucks I could have killed, waiting on that buck that never showed up. I still won't shoot a small one (by my area's standards) but I'm not holding out for the monster that might not even exist. If its a good one for my area, I'm shooting - bow, rifle, or m/l.

You only live once, enjoy the ride.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Thank you.
Hey gmmat...nice buck in your avy. I'm assuming you got him this year? Congrats, looks like a real good one.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks. Yes. 11/8/2011.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.