HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What bow for sister? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/354502-what-bow-sister.html)

westtexducks 11-28-2011 02:43 PM

What bow for sister?

All right guys my sister has decide she wants to bow hunt with us next year so I am researching bows that are adjustable from low poundage to a higher poundage so as she grows it grow with her. So far I have found the Mission bows several of which look really good, Bear bows, and the Diamond Razor Edge.
She should end up being around 5'8'' to 5'10'' she just turned 14 I am thinking if she practices all summer if she gets one for christmas she could handle 40#s for hunting but we want to get her something that she will be able to shoot for awhile and adjust to her needs. She has shot 4-H archery so she has dealt with bows but really wants to get into bow hunting with her 2 older brothers. So what bows have you guys gotten for your sisters or wives that meet these specs? I am really liking the Mission bows.
Also what would you guys consider minimum poundage for a 25 yards shot on a deer with muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades? As much as a love the Rages I know they will not work with low poundage so going to stick with fixed heads for now until she gets bigger.
Have any of you guys had any experiences with these?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for any feed back.
P.S. Any of you female bow hunters pitch in to on what yall are shooting and what do you think about your bow.

Whitetailaddict13 11-28-2011 03:18 PM

mathews has designed bows for the female shooter. check em out

InnerX 11-28-2011 05:33 PM

The mission Riot or craze would be my choice. The Riot is a little longer ATA, and where she could end up being taller i would go with that one. Either one is completely adjustable from 17"-30" in DL, and 17lb -70lb all with the turn of a screw without a press.

As far as the poundage for hunting I would try and get her near or up past 35# mark. with that being said I know two women in their 60's who both hunt below 40# who use with great success rage BH. both have killed numerous deer and numerous bear. I am not sure about Texas but many states have a minimum poundage required for hunting. you may want to check with the fish and game Dept. about that. Good luck!

Straight shootin!

petasux 11-29-2011 03:18 AM

I dont have an opinion on what bow as Im in the same boat myself trying to find my daughter who is 12 one for Christmas.

I did help a 14 year old track a deer he shot with low poundage, around 35# with a Hoyt youth bow earlier this year.He was shooting thunderheads and the arrow went in and would have blown all the way through if it hadnt hung up on the far side rib after it broke it.The tip was actually poking through the skin and we had a good blood trail.

I dont neccassarily agree with shooting this low of poundage, matter of fact the guy he was hunting with and I had several discussions about it where i told him it wasnt enough.I have revised my opinion on this somewhat, 25 yrds with a good broadside/quartering away shot should kill a deer but you may not have an exit hole.

Mr October 11-29-2011 06:10 AM

My wifes first bow was a hoyt selena that maxed out at just around #50. Smooth draw stabile liked the grip. She just up graded to a Hoyt CRX 32 #60. If your interested I can see if she wants to sell the selena(bare) bow.

tsaxybabe 12-04-2011 06:10 PM

I have a Mission Menace and love it. The only reason I got another bow is because I maxed out the Menace at 50lbs. I shot a heck of a nice buck with it last year (the one in my pic). I'd go with a Mission bow, the Craze is great for adjustability and isn't too pricey in case she decides she's not into hunting. Plus, since it has the possibility to be a "kid's bow" it has great resale value. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I shot the buck in my picture with about 42lbs at 26" and got a complete pass through! So if she can draw 40lbs she can put down a deer easy :) Good luck to you and her.

sgtbowhunter 12-09-2011 12:57 PM

I bought my wife a browning micro adrenaline and it was really a kick butt bow! It adjusted from like 22-28" and from 30-50#. It was really fast for having that low of draw weight. She has arthritis real bad so we had to sell it and get her a crossbow. Check out the brownings before you decide.