Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ever Feel Like Crying #2 >

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

The BH went through his rt. lung. There was nothing (other than his own flesh, possibly) plugging the wound.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Spike

find anything?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Spike

How did it turn out ? I hope you found him .
Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Prolly found a 120 inch 10 point instead of his typical 12 in the 180 class
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
Sounds like a shoulder hit gl
That's what I'm thinking also.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

guess he never found it...another sad story, brought to you by huntingnet.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Spike

another waste of a good deer. I suspect a little ground shrinkage though
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I am sorry for not posting sooner but I was in the woods. I searched everywhere for this beast and no luck. First one lost in 20 years. Everone has something to learn in this sport that is for sure. Here are the things that I learned:
1. At 40yds and 309fps, the deer has 0.4 seconds to react. Which could be enough to drop a few inches. Anything over 25 yds, I will not be alerting the deer.
2. Patience, patience, patience no matter how big. More than likely he would have circled me for a perfect shot. Way too excited and impatient.
3. Respect for the animal.
Anyway, I let the search go for a few hours on Sunday morning and took an 8 pt at 22 yds. He was facing me but I was fairly confident on what I could do with the arrow. It hit high in the neck and ended with the heart. He ran 60 yards. He is the humor in the story. I got down and did not find the arrow or any blood so I walked over to the site where I last saw him and a buck jumped up and ran over 200 yds in the field, stopped, turned, looked at me, and walked off into a thicket. Gave him 2 hours and searched for 3 hours. Thought about it over and over and realized that the buck that I saw run off had a light rack and did not appear to be hit. Went back to the same location and he was 5 feet from where I turned to look at the other buck running off in the distance. Good thing that deer did not stop because I am sure that I would have sent an arrow. Anyway, here is a good buck but isn't anywhere near the class that I started this thread with. Hope the big boy lives...
Attached Thumbnails Ever Feel Like Crying #2-2011-oh-deer.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Spike

No guts on arrow. Full blood on length including fletching BUT not a lot and I really didn't look because he ran so fast into open woods. 10 would be around 5-6 hours. I am dying to find out but I know how important this is to be patient.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Heather856
No guts on arrow. Full blood on length including fletching BUT not a lot and I really didn't look because he ran so fast into open woods. 10 would be around 5-6 hours. I am dying to find out but I know how important this is to be patient.

When in doubt...wait. Probably a couple hours to be sure. If he's already dead, he'll still be dead when you get there. If he isn't, he may bleed out, or at least go into shock, while you're waiting. I had a hit similar to yours this year...looked like good blood, no guts, but I knew i hit him farther back than I intended (he suddenly stepped just as I shot). Clipped the guts, hit liver. I waited a few hours, and found him alive, but unable to move far.

Lesson: when in doubt, wait, and you'll be less likely to jump him if he isn't dead yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.