Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What Bow to buy for Newbie? >

What Bow to buy for Newbie?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Bow to buy for Newbie?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Spike

Default What Bow to buy for Newbie?

Looking at getting an inexpensive but decent bow for first time bow hunter. Can't get off of work for gun season anymore so I wanted to start bow hunting. Haven't used a bow since I was a kid about 25 years ago so don't want to invest a ton of money until I know if this is something I will enjoy.

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Spike

How much money do you want to spend??
Old 11-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

not wanting to spend a lot of money in my mind for a good bow is probably <500$? well you can pick up a lot of good bows for that price. Some brands to check out is PSE, Mission, Bear Archery. You could also check out some older models of Matthew, Hoyt, and some other brands. Go to a shop and see what feels best to you. Im sure you'll love hunting and shooting a bow. Its a great way to relax and get in the woods.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Like HuntingkidPA said to try different bows. Might want to see if your local bow shop has used bows that were traded in. They might have some deals. Also check the clasifieds here on this site and others or your local Craigs list where you can maybe speak to the seller and shoot the bow before you buy it. Anyway good luck with finding a good bow.

CVG Ohio
Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Spike

How much you want to spend is the big thing. There are so many bows out there for beginner to seasoned vet. Since you are a beginner, I suggest you get a 'bow package'. IE the bow comes with sight, rest, quiver and some a stabilizer. Stop by a bow shop, Gander Mtn, or Cabelas to shoot different bows and choose what you like best. Have fun!!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Would like to stay around $350 if possible being that I don't want to invest a lot until I'm sure this is for me. From what I hear from others, I think I will love bow hunting compared to gun but don't want to tell my wife I'm spending $700-$900 on a bow when I haven't picked one up since I was a kid.

Does draw length matter or is that adjustable on most models?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cnbweb
Thanks for the advice everyone!! Would like to stay around $350 if possible being that I don't want to invest a lot until I'm sure this is for me. From what I hear from others, I think I will love bow hunting compared to gun but don't want to tell my wife I'm spending $700-$900 on a bow when I haven't picked one up since I was a kid.

Does draw length matter or is that adjustable on most models?
most you can adjust yourself
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

CNB,

You can go to a local archery shop and look at some models. Have them measure you for your draw length. Most are adjustable, but you'll still need to know what you mean. From there you can watch the newspaper, craigslist, classifieds here ect. until you find a good used one. With christmas coming there should be plenty for sale both before and after christmas. If it was me, unless it's an urgent need, I'd wait till I found a GOOD deal on a GOOD bow. If you're not looking at it till next season, you have a good amount of time to wait for a good deal. Good luck.
-Jake
Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

For the price and the performance I would check out Bear Archery. they have come out with some impressive "entry level bows" lately. Also check out used bows...but beware...used bows are like used cars. You don't know how they were treated before you got it. After you check out several different bows, shoot them. Most pro shops will let you try alot of different bows before you buy them. Get the one that best fits you. Just because Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc works for someone doesn't mean it will work for you. good luck
Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used Bows can be found for a decent price....just wait til You try and sell a used one and see how the value will drop,worse that a rusty old car or truck.Still it depends on how well the Owner treated it and used it if it is worth a little extra money for a nicer Compound Bow?Lots of Hunters are buying a new Bow each year or 2 because they keep improving and changing them so much each year...if You find a used Bow make sure You can have it checked out or buy it from a good reputable Archery Shop that can check it over real good or replace the string if needed and adjust it to fit You...don't buy a Bow that can not be adjusted/fitted to Your Size.

You also have to decide if You'll shot carbon arrows,then You have buy some that a rated for the amount of pounds Your Bow is set at.....if You Bow draw weight is set at 50 lbs You'll need an arrow in the 50/60 range,if its set up to 70lbs then it will need one rated up to 70lbs or more....don't shoot an arrow rated at 40-50 or 60 lbs in a Bow turned up to 70lbs draw weight...it could very well shatter and injure or kill You...and absolutely Don't shot a wooden arrow either.Not sure You know this but I figured I better mention it for Safety reasons!

I did the very same You planning on doing...I had Bow Hunted a few times many years ago and decided to get back into Bow Hunting,I bought a used Bow and Hunted for 1 season of Archery Hunting and fell back in love with the sport...the older Bow was awfully slow and bulky but still I desired to go more and more and ended up buying a nice new Bow.

My Daughter decided She would like to shoot a Bow so I bought her a cheap Yard Sale Bow and let Her plink a few arrows in the back yard,now She's few years older and I ended up taking Her to the local Archery Shop to try out and shoot a few Bows and ended up buying her a brand new Mission "Craze" Bow (still in Lay Away).Its a great shooting Bow and it can be adjusted to fit Her draw length up to 30 inches and it can be adjusted to fit me also and the draw weight can go from a low 17 pounds up to 70lbs with 80 % let-off and its only a short 28 inches from axle to axle so it will be easier to shoot out of a blind or tree stand.This Bow is very nice and made by Matthews,price was $299.00 plus tax as a bare Bow that I will probably set up with a whisker bisquit arrow rest and the sight of Her choice and a quiver then I can add other accessories/options as I have the extra money so take into consideration when buying a new Bow...all the added options can add up to cost more over time unless You buy a Packaged Bow as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 11-20-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.