Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to Bow Hunting. Intro and ? >

New to Bow Hunting. Intro and ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bow Hunting. Intro and ?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Spike

Default New to Bow Hunting. Intro and ?

Title says it all ladies and gentlemen. I and the wife have decided to start our bow hunting careers and I was just looking through the forum trying to get insides and tips for our upcoming hunts. Upcoming I mean about a month away if this deer season at all. I have been putting arrows on target for nearly a decade and just never have had the chance to go out hunting. My wife on the other hand just picked up her first bow about 3 days ago, so we are giving her sometime to find her nitch. We are gonna wait about a month to see if she feels good enough to go out for deer, if not it’s open season year round on hogs here.

Now a question. I have a Darton 50mx that I’m waiting to hear back from darton on cause it was a gift I got some years ago and have no info on it like reliability and FPS and the string length that was standard don’t fit so I don’t know what mods it has, ya know those kinds of things. Does anyone have one and hunt with it? I’ve heard that some late models of the 50mx were destined to fail at the cams is this true? Should I get a new hunting bow and just retire it to sit on the wall or use only for target? Thanks for reading and any answers.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

I cannot believe 25 views and no responce. Well that is great you are taking up Bow hunting with your wife. Make sure she is ready before the hunt. As far as the Bow I have no experience with that one but take it to your local bow shop they will fill you in on what you want to know about it.

Good Luck
CVG Ohio
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Spike

Well thank you for the reply. We are pretty excited to get out and try our luck. We've been doing alot of planning and looking at some areas where the hogs are common. We have had alot of them on my property but for the most part they are far between sightings. Well Im just hanging around reading stories and getting any hints and tips to landing a good season.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Red face

Floghunter
Don't shoot that bow before changing the strings out,strings are old and dried out and could split on ya. Giving you grief and injury,not a way to get back in the fold. Get them changed out and good luck with it.
Rocky
Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by youngfart
Floghunter
Don't shoot that bow before changing the strings out,strings are old and dried out and could split on ya. Giving you grief and injury,not a way to get back in the fold. Get them changed out and good luck with it.
Rocky
Thank you youngfart, I have already done that. My younger brother some time ago thought it was a good Idea to dry fire it (with original strings from what I could tell) and snapped the string. Luckily he wasnt hurt but I have replaced them. After I get some money saved up for a new bow I will retire it to the mantel place.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Glad
To hear he didn't hurt himself,people fail to do this a lot with older bows that have been sitting for a few years. Lacerations to the face are a common occurance. Good luck on choosing a new bow. Remember to try them all before you choose!
Rocky
Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Well this is a good place for that and do not be shy! If you have a question ask it. Someone will have the answer. We do not have a big problem with hogs here in SW Ohio there are some areas in SE Ohio in the National Forest has some hogs alway's thought it would be something to do during the summer. Hope you and your wife have fun together as that is what it really is about and very special to do it with your wife. Mine does not hunt but will eat what I get so long as it looks like it came from the Super Market. Anyway good Luck and let us know what you get.

CVG Ohio

Last edited by CVG Ohio; 11-18-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Never owned the 50mx but have owned several dartons. They have excellent customer service and will answer all your questions. I would call them direct instead of email...it's quicker. I would recommend up grading though. From what I can tell your bow is about 23 years old. You will be surprised at the innovations in archery technology. By no means do you have to buy a new bow but it's a suggestion. In regards to your wife, I'd give her a little more practice. Usually I recommend someone shooting a bow for at least a year before they go out hunting. There is too much to learn about angles and shot placement. If hogs are open all year around give it six months and see where she is. Let her stick a few of them critters to get the monkey off her back...so to speak...then go after deer. No matter what you decide to do good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Spike

Thanks yall, yeah the hogs are a huge nuisance around these parts. They’re all over just tearing up everything they can. I was just considering the other night about not getting a new bow. I love my wife's Diamond razor but, I’m already a pretty good shot with my bow and know it’s every working.I have talked to Darton and they told me it was a good bow but to hang it up. They dont make any type of aftermarket or replacement parts for it. I dont want to break it and have an ugly bow in my head room so thats why I am thinking about getting a new one. I told her to take her time, she has had it for a week and keeps asking to turn up the draw weight, have to keep telling her no and just get comfortable and accurate then we will turn it up. I’m not a pro by any means or stretch of the imagination so I will most likely be surfing around here alot.

Last edited by flhoghunter219; 11-20-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Youngfart mentioned,try all the newer Compound Bows at a good Archery Shop to see which one feels and shoots the way You like it.There are so many different brands of Bows on the market that its worse than trying to decide on a new car!Also check out the warranty on the different brands of Bows to see how well the company stands behind their product or ask other Bow Hunters which ones really stand behind their brands and how well their Customer Service is?

It would be great if You can have Your Wife to practice shooting from a higher elevated platform to get an idea of shooting from a higher elevation similar to a ladder stand or elevated shooting blind...even a high deck on the back of a house will work!

The following brands seem to be very good and have good warranties from my what I have heard and experienced.

Matthews
PSE
Hoyt
Diamond
Elite
Jennings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.