HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Unusual situation...what would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/353326-unusual-situation-what-would-you-do.html)

AP HD_Jake 11-15-2011 07:13 AM

here's what i think... if i came up on a deer that had obviously been there all night i would've cleaned it and waited for ONE hour. if i came up on one still warm, i would do the same as you. if i noticed the deer was gutshot i would clean it right away, but i might hang out for a min if not. but you are a kind person. i had a nice buck jacked from me. i shot him and lost sight of him right as he went over the hill and i heard him fall so i waited about 2 hours for him to die went back to the truck called my buddy and ate a sandwich. when i went back to get him i followed the blood trail to where i saw him last then i couldnt believe it. right where i hear him crash he had been dressed out, loaded on a 4 wheeler and was gone. i know because there where tracks and his entrails where attempted to be covered by leaves. was about 80-100 yards from my stand just over the hill.

Prairie Wolf 11-15-2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AP HD_Jake (Post 3876446)
here's what i think... if i came up on a deer that had obviously been there all night i would've cleaned it and waited for ONE hour. if i came up on one still warm, i would do the same as you. if i noticed the deer was gutshot i would clean it right away, but i might hang out for a min if not. but you are a kind person. i had a nice buck jacked from me. i shot him and lost sight of him right as he went over the hill and i heard him fall so i waited about 2 hours for him to die went back to the truck called my buddy and ate a sandwich. when i went back to get him i followed the blood trail to where i saw him last then i couldnt believe it. right where i hear him crash he had been dressed out, loaded on a 4 wheeler and was gone. i know because there where tracks and his entrails where attempted to be covered by leaves. was about 80-100 yards from my stand just over the hill.

Just curious, but if you heard him crash, why wait two hours?

darkarrow 11-15-2011 12:25 PM

I would give it back. You never know when a hunter might come across one of your deer. You would want them to give you your deer.

halfbakedi420 11-15-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 3875662)
I wouldn't have touched the deer. You didn't kill it, it's not a waste if nobody finds it, nature will take care of it and you never know the situation.

all i can say is...wow!

hillbillyhunter1 11-16-2011 09:30 AM

If I was the shooter, I would have let you and your uncle drag the deer clear out to the road and then told you it was mine...lol

jober425 11-16-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1 (Post 3877092)
If I was the shooter, I would have let you and your uncle drag the deer clear out to the road and then told you it was mine...lol

Haha I like the way you think. We were dragging it the opposite way from where he parked or maybe he would have.

sconnyhunter 11-16-2011 05:28 PM

I have found a doe before. I waited a few minutes, than I checked her out. She was still fairly warm, and pliable. I hadn't heard any shots that morning.
So i didn't know if she had been shot that morning or the previous day.
Though there was evidence that she had been shot. There was damage to her right hind quarter and high on her right shoulder. I think someone saw her running and winged a couple after her, not knowing they hit her or ho badly.
There was no blood trail to back track, and it had snowed the night before. There was no snow on her either.
I cleaner her out, tagged her and took her home.