Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
i am officially a bowhunter! >

i am officially a bowhunter!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i am officially a bowhunter!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Spike

Default i am officially a bowhunter!

well i finally did it. last year ate tag soup for bow, this year i was determined to get one. after a miss earlier this week i decided to switch setups so i could get a longer shot. had this doe come in straight at me, i was already standing. she was 18 yards out eating, but straight towards me. i waited... and waited.. for what seemed like an eternity. then she finally took a step to her right and dropped her head, and i dropped the hammer! sounded like a shotgun blast when that arrow smacked rib! i found her 80 yards away, got 1 lung clean threw and just caught the second, she isnt much, but shes the biggest prize in my eyes

Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always said that a trophy is in the eyes of the hunter. To a young hunter it could be a squirrel. Congrats on your harvest. Hope you have many more.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Spike

Congrats. Taking a deer with a bow is no easy task. May this be one of many for you.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spectacular
Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

She's a great looking doe. Don't sell her, short!

Congratulations.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Spike

thanks guys! i definitely thought my heart was going to overload. it was a slight quartering to me shot, and when i hit her the arrow did not pass threw. it hit ribs got about 8 inches in and stopped. when she ran i could see my arrow sticking out, and my first thought was i hit shoulder, but i was very confident that i hit ribs. is it common not to get a pass through because of the angle? im shooting a mathews reezen 7.0 28.5 draw at 65 lbs. maxima hunter 350 arrows with rage 2 blade 100 grains. i found half of my arrow about 15 yards from where i hit her, and the more she ran the more the BH chewed her up. it ended up coming out the bottom, BH sticking out with some intestines. she also broke her leg up by her rear quarter. i know my bow is shooting quick, and i have enough kenetic energy, i should have got a pass threw i think. any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad it worked out. That's a risky shot for anyone....and many, many experienced bowhunters won't take it (quartering-to).

I'm taking nothing away from your accomplishment OR passing judgement. Not in the least. But, you asked about the shot. Your BEST scenario and your worst scenario is separated by a very thin margin.

Again....congrats on your success.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Like said above, that can be a tough angle. I shot a 7 point last week that was slightly quartering toward me. The only benefit of an arrow not passing through is that it does tear everything up when the deer runs. Causes a lot of damage. Can be hard to track without a pass through though. COngrats on your first archery deer!! It gets addicting!
-Jake
Old 11-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Spike

thanks guys. i did take a chance with this shot, it was close to broadside, not close to head on(if that makes sense) so if it would have kept going threw then it would have been perfect as far as i know. if it was angled head pointing more at me then no, i cant see that shot happening by any ethical hunter.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Spike

May this be the first of many. Congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.