Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Heck of a thing! >

Heck of a thing!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heck of a thing!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Heck of a thing!

After getting my buck on Tuesday and being off work today for Veteran's day, I decided to go pull one of my hanging stands. So in my everyday clothes (jeans, etc), I grab my back pack and safety harness and drive to the spot. I get there slam the truck door cause I'm not being cautions. Walk normally down to the stand making all kinds of racket. Put on my harness and climb up to the stand. Moving around up in the treestand like a 200 lb squirrel taking off the lock and the ratchet strap, I hear a commotion behind me. As I stand up to look, a doe comes barreling past my stand at about 10 yds. 10 - 15 seconds later here comes two buck hot on her trail. One was a small 8 and the other a really nice 8. I sat on my stand seat and watched them run her all around the area. They passed my stand 3 times in shooting range and never once noticed me. Guess they only had one thing on their mind and she wanted no part of it. Maybe she thought I would help her out and shoot one of them....
They finally left the area and I finished my job.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

stuff like that always happens when you don't have a gun/bow. but when you do have a gun/bow and trying to be quiet you will hardly ever have that happen.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

yeah....how about this.

I had deer crap on the floor of my blind !! dead center...nice pile for a present.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Spike

^^ speaking of deer pooping, I've seen black round peeble type poop, round greenish poop, and them the oatmeal dark greyish type. My understanding is this:

Black pebble poop = buck
Greenish pebble poop = doe
Oatmeal mushy dark grey = ? (diarreah ?)
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Spike

How did the big 8 compare to the buck you shot? Sorry, had to ask.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say they were very similar.
As for the poop, I don't think you can tell if its a buck or doe from the poop. Another misconception I've heard was that pellets were doe and turds (stacked pellets) buck. Not true. It all depends on what they are eating that determines the color and formation of the feces.