Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

If you have a cedar close by, put a stand in it. They are the best for concealment, during all seasons. If you get busted while sitting in a cedar, then I don't know what to tell ya.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Spike

Shoot this biggest doe that comes by your stand next time. She likes to gossip. Seriously though, moving your stand and incorporating some back drop should help. I had hunted the same platform stand for years and was fed up with the deer's first move looking in my direction as soon as they entered the area.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Spike

Did you happen to shower with scented shampoo or body wash that morning ?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I would move your stand to a tree that has is either wide enough to conceal your figure or a tree that has cover behind you, I like trees that have pines next to them...I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs so it's not easy for me to hide. Another thing, make sure your face is covered and try using cover scents to draw their attention away from your scent.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO it is almost impossible to tell what is causing the deer to see you. But it has to be that:
They know the stand is there.
You do not have anything behind you to break up your outline.
Your camo is either too light or too dark depending on your location.
You are moving.
Thermal currents are carrying your scent to the deer. (wind may be good at your height)
And last but not least - You may just be having some really bad luck.
Without actually being there, I can't help you any further. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'm guessing it's a combination of a few things, so all I can do is try to eliminate variables!! So with that being said, what camo would you guys recommend for me to purchase?? Right now I have some old school Hardwoods stuff..
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are in hardwoods (oak, maple, etc) I would recommend either Mossy Oak Treestand or the new Vertigo pattern. Especially if the leaves are off the trees. If you are in spruce or cedar woods, a darker pattern would be better. IMO a good choice would be green Predator camo.
On the ground or in a leafy (brown or green) canopy, Realtree AP or Mossy Oak Infinity patterns are hard to beat.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ShootEmUpBuck
I'm guessing it's a combination of a few things, so all I can do is try to eliminate variables!! So with that being said, what camo would you guys recommend for me to purchase?? Right now I have some old school Hardwoods stuff..
To be honest, deer don't give a damn what brand or pattern the camo is. As long as it's similar in shade (light/dark) to your background so that it breaks up your outline, you're good to go. I've shot deer wearing old school army camo and jeans. They don't care. If you have a bright sky behind you, you'll stand out no matter what camo you're wearing (except with something really light, like Vertigo).

Same goes for UV brighteners...I'm not sure I even buy that theory. I just use regular old All Free (no dyes or scents) and deer routinely walk by. Pioneers and Indians shot deer all the time without the benefit of Cabelas.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uphunter, I'm sure we all have shot deer in jeans and old style camo. And I do agree with your light/dark theory. And although it is true that deer do not see color (but lately scientist believe they do detect shades of red) they can also recognize a 'blob' in the tree. The newer camo pattens like vertigo and mossy oak treestand give you an edge. I am a firm believer in that. Being about 15' up, I had mature doe, and we all know how edgy they are, look up at me and never even gave me a second look. I guess to her I looks like a combination of the tree and sky. So I know a good camo works. Now, I could have shot that deer farther out. And would she have see me from a greater distance if I was wearing jeans? Maybe not if I was still. But then again, maybe she would have seen the blob in the tree and avoided it. Who knows?