Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated

Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Angry Frustrated

I am beyond frustrated, and looking for help. Over the past 4 weeks, EVERY deer that has come within 40 yards of me has IMMEDIATELY looked up and located me in my tree stand, and acted skittish. They aren't smelling me, aren't hearing me, and I'm literally not moving an inch once I see them. What in the heck is going on?? Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to be Captian Obvious here, but if they know where your stand is and are looking up, then just move the stand. You can move it 20 yds in a different direction. But make sure that you have cover/floiage around you and make sure that you are in a big enough tree so they don't see your profile.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Spike

Depends on your stand location and where the deer are traveling in relation to you. Any details? Sitting on a hillside? How far up are you? How wide is the tree? Where is the sun when this is happening? Needs more info to help you out...
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have been sitting in multiple tree stands. They range from 17-23 ft in the air, the terrain ranges, as does the size of the tree and position in comparison to the setting sun. I have even had one other guy sit in a couple of the stands, and has seen deer WITHOUT them being alerted. Could it be something I'm wearing? I know the scent killing detergent I use doesn't contain UV brighteners so that's not it...
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Spike

Are you sitting right on top of a deer trail? Like are the deer facing directly towards you when they walk by?

I always like to be 15-20 yds off a deer trail, so they aren't looking at me when they walk by.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Nope I always try to stay off the trail like you said. Doesn't seem to matter, It's like I glow in the dark.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Spike

If I where you I would first hang a new stand in a new tree just to see if those deer are on to you. At the same time I would where some different clothes (maybe even see if you can borrow you buddies back up camo). You never know, there could be something in your washing machine that is either making you stink or leaving uv deposits on your camo. That could be built up detergent or grease. Best of luck to ya that sounds like a very frustrating situation.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you have good back ground cover? My favorit stand is in plain site. I set in the wide open. My cover is all back ground. Nothing below or in front of me. If you do not have back ground cover, you will be casting a big silhouette agianst the sky.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Spike

they are obviously smelling/hearing/seeing you somehow. i had a spike sunday evening walk from my left directly under my stand and never knew i was there, i was only 10 foot up the tree, wind was in my face blowing to the east, the deer was walking south to north. they are either sniffin ya out or you are skylining yourself making it easy to see ya imho
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Spike

people shoot deer every year wearing blaze orange so i dont think its your camo i would bet they are seeing you move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.