Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
deer gone nocturanal >

deer gone nocturanal

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer gone nocturanal

Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default deer gone nocturanal

Sitting in my treestands in western wisconsin, and all the deer have gone nocturnal, up until this last week saw 5-8 day per sit. All the trail cameras show the deer at night. What's up. this has never happened to me before. I own 120 acres totally wooded, no ag land around for miles.

Any thoughts
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

the ruts on around here, probably there too. you'll see buck chasing does still. i doubt they can be nocturnal in the rut. if your not seeing them on your cam during day light hours maybe switch spots.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

You can bet if there is no running in the day some one is baiting deer not far away. This is just one more perfect example what too much corn will do to deer movement. There is no other reason. Start asking around and I bet money there is someone with a couple hundred pound of corn no far away. I see this every single year when I go to Price county just north of you. We got up to our cabin on Wed. night 10/26/11 at 10:30 pm. I told my 14 yr old son just wait 10 min. and there will be deer there in the yard. We lit the candles, started the fire and by the time I went back outside there were 5 waiting for us. I threw out 20 apples and they never even ran away. I was 20 ft. from them and they look at you. Thursday morning 6 deer on the stand by the cabin. Thur. evening 5, Fri. morning 5. On Friday afternoon only 1 deer came in. Saturday afternoon nothing came in. We knew it would happen because by Friday afternoon we heard atv's on the public land. This means corn in the woods all over the place. The deer know where every corn pile is in a half mile of our cabin and no reason for deer to be the first ones there cause there is plenty of 100 lb. piles of corn all over. The only way it's not illegal baiting is something even worse than baiting and that's a chance a pack of timber wolves are in the area. I don't think that's the case though. Hear any eary howls lately, or big tracks in the mud that look too big for a yote?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from northern wisconsin, Ashland county and all my bucks are nocturnal.. besides a small 8 pointer, we've got alot of wolves though.. also ihookem1 watch what you say online as your restricted to only using 2 gallons of feed.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Spike

My land is on the Jackson/ Trempleau County border by Black River Falls area. I did hear a wolf howl on thursday night at dusk. My neighbors and we all have food plots. The neighbors aren't seeing anything either. Can 1 wolve scare everything? Going back up Thursday morning to try again.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Don't worry bout me, I PUT OUT A HALF GALLON OR SO. I have a very wealthy land owner that does what he wants. He baits illegal stands on public land and on his own land too across the road from me. The truth is a few quarts of corn with an apple or two does more to bring in deer than 100 lbs. and cheaper too. Two much free food out there makes deer lazy. Make them come in for a few good bites and then they walk away nice and easy before dark. I imagine if ya hear a wolf howl he is howling to other wolves too so there are more there. I've heard they are thick in some areas of Black River State Forest.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Spike

If you have all wooded area with no ag land for miles then they gotta be looking for some sort food source (ex. ag land) or like ihookem1 said someones baiting close by and drawing in deer, then headin back to your land when they're done feeding and about to bed down. But still unusual when rut is going on. If this is true then you might be able to catch a good buck just before nightfall that was feeding early and heading back to your land to bed down. Look for a nice spot and clear lanes near some hemlocks or pines where they like to bed down especially from predators.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JACKSON3006
Sitting in my treestands in western wisconsin, and all the deer have gone nocturnal, up until this last week saw 5-8 day per sit. All the trail cameras show the deer at night. What's up. this has never happened to me before. I own 120 acres totally wooded, no ag land around for miles.

Any thoughts
The full moon is just around the corner. This causes deer to feed later into the night, so they are naturally full during the day. I'm sure this plays a part. The same thing is happening here.

This little trick has led me and my deer hunting buddies, to bagging some really nice deer.

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a video with you that I uploaded to my youtube channel. My buddies and I discovered this little deer hunting secret that has been responsible for some nice bucks being taken over the years.

Anybody can implement this in their hunting and get similar results. Sorry for the quality of the video, but you will get the gist of it anyway, and thats all that matters.
Anyway here is the video.... Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgRqFZ8ed6I

Anyway love to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Spike

im glad we can't bait here in mn
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

They haven't gone nocturnal, they are just in thicker cover than what your trail cameras are covering. And +1 to not being able to bait here in MN - sad day when a hunter can't figure out a way to bag a whitetail without bait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.