HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   blind discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/352693-blind-discussion.html)

sgtbowhunter 11-03-2011 06:29 PM

blind discussion

What blinds do you guys have? I have an Ameristep brick house and a Rhino Evolution XP-1. I also bought a blind ghilie that really seems to help camo the blind up. The ghilie is kind of a pain to put on but when I have used it, the deer had no idea the blind didn't belong there even though I had just set the blind up. I have been using scent killer on my blinds this year and am unsure if that is helping a whole lot. I know it would be better to just leave them out so the deer get used to the blind, but since I hunt state land I take them down after each hunt. Also, what chairs do you guys use in your blind? I have been using a foldup camp chair, but think I am going to get a new one. It is starting to squeek pretty bad.

afd33 11-03-2011 08:21 PM

I used to have the g-10 or something like that... Wind storm blew it away, while in it... Wasn't too happy about that. Bent the frame and everything so it was junk. I ended up getting a chair blind, can't remember the brand, but it's supposed to fit two, I like it for just me and having room to stretch out. Had deer and turkeys both within 10 yards. Wouldn't be suitable for a bow hunt but for gun it's nice. One thing with any blind, is they come with really crappy stakes... So you might as well buy some decent ones before you bring it to the field.

Half the reason I've been using them is cause it's a fairly cheap way to get out of the weather. I'm horrible and picking them up after the season so I'm probably going to build myself a box blind sooner or later.

olfatguy 11-04-2011 12:47 AM

I've got a couple of old pop-up blinds (don't recall the brand) and a home made one (PVC and burlap/camo netting. I still use them, once in a while, on private land especially if I take the grandkids along. I set them up, throw some grass and brush on them and, let them set for a while. Camo pattern etc. dosn't seem to make much difference.

On the state land I hunt, you can't leave anything in the woods if you expect to get it back (14 tree stands stolen in the last 30 yrs.), so I've been building natural blinds with deadwood and brush. These blinds stay out there all year and I take some camo netting or old burlap, for extra cover if necessary, when I go to hunt from them. Every once in a while, I'll see where someone else has used them but, this hasn't been a problem.

The best seat, for me, has been a three leg swivel stool. Gets me up off the ground and swivels silently but doesn't let me get too comfortable and nod off. A thermal seat cushion and knee pads have also worked well over the years. Neither of these options causes any problem as far as bow clearance is concerned. Most of these blinds are between a 1/2 and 1 1/2 mi. from the parking area, depending on the wind, so I haven't really looked at anything larger and more comfortable because I just don't want to carry it.

dvallilee 11-04-2011 08:30 AM

If the sun happens to be shining on the screens,I can't see much at all.That really bothers me.I like making natural blinds like the other guy mentioned.I also use camo or army green netting.I feel sorry for the guy who lost all those stands.I've also lost my share.They certainly are NOT sportsmen if the steal your stands.I would like to catch the jerks that ruin hunting for others.I don't mind if they use them if I'm not there,just don't steal it!

iayotehunter 11-04-2011 09:51 AM

I have the ameristep doghouse blinds also they haven't seemed to bother the deer much around here. I also use the fold up chairs in the blind. I have seemed to have better luck this year by just using the chair with out the blind and sitting next to a tree. I've had does walk up to about 5 yards and not notice me. This morning I had a decent 8 pointer walk by at 20 but never had a shot on him.

sgtbowhunter 11-04-2011 11:35 AM

I am going to try building some permanent brush blinds on the state land that I hunt. That way, I won't have to worry about it being there when I go to hunt.

CVG Ohio 11-04-2011 04:45 PM

I like the olfatguy's way of building blinds on public land. At least they do not cost anything but time and they stay out all year long so the deer get used to them. I will do that for next year.

CVG Ohio

huntingkidPA 11-05-2011 08:57 AM

check out a ghost blind. there pricey but amazing. its a mirror blind tilted so that you fit right in, and never have the sun glare off it. Im saving up to buy one, or might just make one. heres a video. (normally i make a natural blind because it fits in exactly where im hunting.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2EeappH-zY

Michlw39 11-05-2011 09:36 AM

I have an Ameristep Doghouse and one of their G-3 blinds. I've shot three deer out of the Doghouse, one out of the G-3 (simply haven't had it as long as the Dog).

I like the G-3 best of all because of the "slit" vertical windows. Very conducive to shooting a bow or crossbow out of.

I shot a doe last year on state land out of my Doghouse the same afternoon I walked in and set it up.