Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Target Alternatives >

Target Alternatives

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Alternatives

Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Spike

Default Target Alternatives

Do any of you guys have any ideas on some cheaper alternatives for arrow stopping targets? Its getting kind of annoying shooting almost clear through the old hay bales in my back yard when I practice. Have any of you made your own targets? I really dont feel like spending alot of money on a good block target either. I was thinking about sand bags, but Im not sure exactly where I would get any. My bow shoots just over 300fps.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt recommend sand bags. A few holes and your out of a target. Ive heard of people taking cheap Styrofoam coolers and packing them with cardboard and using that. They dont last long but its cheap.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Once I took time to make targets out of paper and cardboard only to shoot them out in less than 2 weeks. I bit the bullet bought two nice targets (one for FP & one for BH, both Rinehart) and they have lasted a full year since you can shoot all sides.

Unfortunately I have found with targets, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Spike

I've been shooting bag targets, for field and target points, since I saw my first Morrell, about 20 yrs. ago. The only thing that wears out is the cover and thats a cheap fix (free if you have access to burlap bags or something similar). I got new ones, over the years, and now have two 3'x3' bags that will stop anything you want to shoot at them.

I've also tried about every "cheap" homemade target I heard about, for broadheads and, other that a big dirt pile (if your yard is large enough), haven't found anything that really lasts.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a bag target 2 yrs ago. Liked it for being nice and heavy (30lbs or more) and dense.
have shot its thousands of times between me, my wife, and buddy of mine.

picked it up at bass pro for $49. http://cf.mp-cdn.net/9f/0b/343c52d1f...45f75348b3.jpg

don't know whats in the center of it, but its some good stuff.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM
DAX
Spike

I know your not lookin to pay much but like twodogs said, you get what you pay for.. I have this XL Target at home and I must of taken hundreds of shots already and its good as new.. I also use broadheads too and it hasn't effected the target.. if you're willing to shell out $50 I'd def recommend the buy, it lasts a long time
Old 11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Spike

old cloths without zippers and buttons,placed tightly into a cardboard box,wrapped into a cheap tarp(tightly).Then placed into another box a bit bigger
Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best target Ive used are Morrell bag targets and blob targets are good as well. The bag target will last a long time and is very easy to pull out. The blob is good for fp and broadheads although it will cut the life with BHs. Well worth the money.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Spike

blob targets all the way
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Target Alternative !!!!!!!

For the last twenty years, I never used a commercial block or 3D. But I recommend nothing. Some people can use only a commercial target, because that's the only target that they're use to.

Used either foam insulation sheets from a building supplier(cut to 2' square sheets) OR tied up newspaper with rope on the two edges and hung it in a homemade wooden frame. (when not in use covered by plastic tarp)

I add to the width of of the foam sheets, by adding sections of newspaper in between. Then use masking tape on the edges, to hold target together.

And most target's last, only as long, as the number of target points on the target. Shoot one point, such as the middle, the target will not last as long as being accurate enough to use five or more target points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.