Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One for my Dad!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default One for my Dad!

I lost my father this turkey season. He was my hero and my mentor. He was way ahead of his time in trophy hunting and management in this area. He killed his fair share of monster bucks even though he lost his arm when he was 28. He bought this farm back in the 80's and went straight into management practices. He set aside a small 5 acre thicket in the center of farm as a sanctuary. We were not allowed to hunt or even walk into this area. This brings us to yesterday evening I got in a stand across the field from the refuge. At 5:15pm this mature buck came out of the refuge and gave me a 15 yard shot, and 80 yards later the buck was mine. This whole experience has been surreal while I was pumped there was a big part of me that was sad. My father wasn't there to share the story with. I know he was in the stand with me and was proud of the whole hunt. This is not my biggest archery buck, but is the most special. Sons don't forget to tell the people who got you in to hunting thank you. You are never promised tomorrow so take advantage of the time you can spend with your loved ones!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!! I'm sure your Dad is watching and is proud of you.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Dad did you right.
Know he was watching his prized land with you harvesting his deer.
Nice buck.
Enjoy it with a light heart........he would've wanted you to enjoy it happily instead of sad.

Have a big ole back strap filet mignon for pop !
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a great buck. Your Dad would be proud.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Spike

He's beautiful!! I"m think'n your Dad is very proud of you. And it sounds as if you were very proud of him.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know your dad was in the stand with you, it was his way!!! I agree with you in letting those close to you know and this is why I took my dad on a surprise hog hunt in OK this past Feb. with my brother and son and I made it a 3 generation hunt. Had a great time for all involved. Videoed it as well. That is one great buck and great story!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-12-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Spike

Great Job! Im sure dear ole dad is smiling ear to ear.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Spike

great job! Im sure dear ole dad is smiling ear to ear!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having that heritage is a blessed part of your life,he will be with you on every hunt living it through you and sharing your joy in the hunt. Thats a great deer worth waiting for,he was wise to hold you back from hunting it,so now the harvest begins with his compliments. GOD bless you and yours.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice... nice tribute!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.