Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Miss!!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Spike

Thanks AP HD Jake. I think you've just proven the point I was trying to make, earlier.

1. Lost a lung shot doe.
2. Still advocates taking 70 yd. shots at deer.

RGT Bekah, you have my condolences. I can see, now, why your viewpoint might be slightly skewed.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a target at 80 yards move. Not one inch. But a deer can duck you at 10 yards. With shooting long distances as much as you obviously have, you know how long it takes your arrow to get there at those distances. A deer can move quite a bit at 70 yards. I don't see how this can be considered an ethical shot. I am not trying to jump on you by any means, but surely you understand that a deer is not a target.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I understand olfats point
and do agree with it,
shot choice isnt something to be taken lightly,
many push the limits on what an ethical distance is.
i cant say what distance that limit is,
also for retrieving game you know you hit,
jake, no offense but if you didnt find it, dont think 2 days is enough,
personally i would have kept looking even if it takes me all season,
if you think it went onto neighboring properties that you dont have access to,
should consider that distance when choosing your hunting spot,
if its 100 yds from a property line, then i would consider that too close.
not that it wont happen again, but should do whatever possible to minimize the chances of that happening

another thing
i see more and more pushing the deer sooner and sooner
should go back to waiting 4 hrs minimum before tracking
many have cut that down to 2 hrs, 1 hrs, 45 mins,
4 hr minimum before even retrieving your arrow is highly recommended

Last edited by Terasec; 11-04-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Spike

@huntingkid, wen we practice, we practice starting at 10yrds and work our way back(everyday!), and always make sure were dead on. When practicing it helps to practicing all different yardages because you never know what opportunity might present itself. As far as "might as well use a rifle," its not about seeing how far you can shoot, its about putting your practice and hard work to use and the challenge, IMO rifle hunting is not as challenging, especially if u have a gun that is dead on, but that doesn't mean that every time a 60yrd shot presents itself he takes it, its not about that. You also have to take into consideration the deer n your area, how pressured and smart they are, also the terrain your hunting.

@Bibleman, that is why you have to practice, so you know how much to need to compensate for things like the deer ducking or kicking up, etc. Its not impossible by any means, if you know what your doing.

Last edited by RTG_Bekah; 11-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RTG_Bekah
@huntingkid, wen we practice, we practice starting at 10yrds and work our way back(everyday!), and always make sure were dead on. When practicing it helps to practicing all different yardages because you never know what opportunity might present itself. As far as "might as well use a rifle," its not about seeing how far you can shoot, its about putting your practice and hard work to use and the challenge, IMO rifle hunting is not as challenging, especially if u have a gun that is dead on, but that doesn't mean that every time a 60yrd shot presents itself he takes it, its not about that. You also have to take into consideration the deer n your area, how pressured and smart they are, also the terrain your hunting.

@Bibleman, that is why you have to practice, so you know how much to need to compensate for things like the deer ducking or kicking up, etc. Its not impossible by any means, if you know what your doing.
please shoot at a deer at 70 yards, guarantee they duck it, wind takes you off target, or don't get enough penetration to kill it. taking a shot that far with a bow just isn't ethical. Doesn't matter how good you are because at that range anything will happen.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Spike

Default Ol fat man

you would know what all i did. your right im a ****ty hunter and i always will be. because i dont know anything ol' fat ass.i shot a doe at 530 pm. gets dark at 800.i didn't go back out at 830. i didn't give the deer 3 1/2 hours after i shot. i didn't look all night till 530 am for the deer. then i didn't go to bed and try to sleep though i couldn't. i didn't get up after 3 hours of struggling to sleep to look again. i didn't look all day. never even felt bad about it. nope im a cruel stupid kid who doesn't know ****. and you know ol fat man i didn't even look 2 days after for buzzards or coyotes crows or any of that OR my arrow or a carcass. nothing i didn't do anything right. nothing at all. hell its been 2 weeks and i don't still look. nope not at all. im not constantly thinking about it or where she could have gone. i don't practice all my yardages, and i don't have the first clue what an ethical shot is. 45 yds is not my best patterned shot. not at all. i don't even practice. not even at 20.nope don't practice at all. yep every deer that pops out at 100 yds oh yeah im takin a shot. yep every time right?
THATS WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR THERE IT IS!!!!!
NOW HERE WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR!!!
I DID WAIT 3.5 HRS. I DID LOOK ALL NIGHT AND ALL MORNING. I COULD NOT SLEEP AT ALL. I GOT UP AFTER TOSSING AND TURNING 3 HRS IN THE BED WENT AND LOOKED AGAIN. I DID LOOK ALL DAY. CAME BACK HOME TO EAT LUNCH BUT I WAS SICK ABOUT LOOSING A DEER. I DIDNT EAT. I KNEW THE COYOTES HAD THAT DOE EATEN UP THE NEXT DAY.BUT I NEEDED THE CLOSURE. I SLEPT THE NIGHT AFTER. BARELY. STILL SICK ABOUT THE DEER. I LOOKED ALL THE NEXT DAY FOR THE SAME THING. LOOKING FOR BUZZARDS LOOKING FOR AN ARROW. LOOKING FOR A CARCASS. LOOKING FOR COYOTE **** OR COYOTES. HELL ITS BEEN 3 WEEKS SINCE I SHOT THAT DOE I STILL LOOK. I KNOW THAT IF I FIND HER ITS GONNA BE A CARCASS BUT AT LEAST I HAVE CLOSURE AND I KNOW DAMN WELL THAT I HIT HER GOOD. I KNOW WHAT AN ETHICAL SHOT IS. I PRACTICE OUT TO 80 JUST FOR ****S AND GIGGLES. I DO IT SO THAT WHEN MY BUDDIES COME OVER I CAN SAY I BET YA 10 BUCKS I CAN HIT THAT COKE BOTTLE AT 80 YARDS. ID RATHER SHOOT ONE FROM 5 YARDS TO 45 YARDS THAN ONE AT 60 YARDS. I NEVER SAID I WOULD EVEN TAKE THE SHOT AT 70 I JUST KNOW MY BOW AND I ARE CAPABLE. IM COMFORTABLE. BUT THERE IS A 90 % CHANCE I WONT BECAUSE I CAN WAIT FOR THEM TO GET CLOSER. AND IF THEY DONT OH WELL ID RATHER SHOOT ONE CLOSER THAN MAKE A BAD SHOT. MY BEST SHOT IS 30-45 BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE I PRACTICE MOST NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO BUT BECAUSE THE AVG SHOT HERE IS BETWEEN 30-45 YARDS. YOU THINK IM A DUMBASS YOU HAVE NO CLUE. I CAN TELL YOU EVERY DAMN DETAIL. I HATE WASTING DEER I HATE LEAVING ONE LAY FOR THE NIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE TO SLEEP TO GET THE HELL UP AND LOOK THE NEXT DAY!!! I HATE IT!!! IM NO SOFTY BUT I DO LOVE ANIMALS AND CARE FOR THEM THAT'S WHY I TRY TO MANAGE MY DEER AS MUCH AS I POSSIBLY CAN. AND ON TOP OF THAT IF I DIDN'T THINK I COULD MAKE A GREAT SHOT AT 40 YARDS I WOULDN'T HAVE WASTED A NEW BROAD HEAD AND NEW ARROW TRYING. IM NOT GONNA TRY AND BE A BADASS OVER THE INTERNET BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FELL STUPID BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE ME SHOOT 80 AND IN BETWEEN COME ON OVER. ILL SHOW YA. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN SAY FOR YOU TO BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY ON HERE. SO YOU CAN EITHER ACCEPT THE FACT THAT I AM AN ETHICAL HUNTER OR YOU CAN STILL PLAY GOD AND JUST ASSUME THAT I AM A STUPID PERSON AND I DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT DEER OF DEER HUNTING. AND SOME SAY IT DOESNT JUST 'HAPPEN'? RARELY BUT IT DOES. NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE AND IT HAPPENED TO ME DAMNIT.

AND I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOU CUTTING THE COMMENT ABOUT ME TO MY WIFE. JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE AN INCONSIDERATE PERSON.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
please shoot at a deer at 70 yards, guarantee they duck it, wind takes you off target, or don't get enough penetration to kill it. taking a shot that far with a bow just isn't ethical. Doesn't matter how good you are because at that range anything will happen.
Exactly what i said under the post to u, when you practice u have to compensate for those kinds of things. And yes if u are good enough u can do it, i know this because i have seen it more than once! but its okay because u know more about it obviously you haven't done it.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Spike

Opinions are like butt holes...everyone has one.One must live with ones actions,weather in a tree,driving the Interstates,defending yourself.
We are human beings,we make mistakes!
Thats why pencils have erasers.....
Its a sad,sinking feeling,when ''we''wound a deer.
It does happen,and to ''alot''of us!
We adapt and overcome and either learn from our mistakes,or sell our equipment,buy a x-bow or join PETA!
NO ONE IS ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE!
Mr Olefatguy,I see u'r very serous about u'r hunting,thats great.I think we can get more with honey than with cow pies.
I would rather learn for a mans wisdom,I get nothing from sarcasm and attitude.
I also bet u must rule with an ''iron fist''over u'r peasants at deer camp!