Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Miss!!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Miss!!

Had a shot at a big buck tonight and I blew it....he was 35 yards away and I shot right under him...just skimmed the bottom of his chest, had a little meat and hair on my arrow and just a couple drops of blood...I guess that is bowhunting, but I am still upset about it.....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Spike

Don't feel bad, it happens. My husband shot a doe the other night got atleast one lung and a ton of blood tracked her until there was no more blood and still culdnt find her, he was extremely upset. It happens to everyone, just gotta get back out there and try again.
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Spike

In the first place, this wasn't a miss, you wounded the animal. I hope that's what you're upset about and not the fact that you didn't kill it. That's not just "bowhunting" and, ref. RGT Bekah, it doesn"t "happen to everyone".

If you knew the yardage and missed your mark by that much, perhaps you shouldn't be taking shots that long in the first place.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Spike

Ok olfatguy not everyone is mr. perfect! if u ask anyone who has been hunting for a very long time 99% of them would say it has happened to them. It even happens to the pros, that is bowhunting, sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I am not sure what you are trying to say olfatguy...I am assuming that you have made a quick clean kill on every animal you have ever fired on...so congrats to you for being perfect...

BTW...whether you want to call it a miss, or a wound or whatever...I shot at a deer and didnt kill it...i am not proud of it, i would be less upset if it was a clean miss, but still upset...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Spike

The point I was trying to make, is that, the for average bowhunter, 35 yds. is, at best, a marginal shot. This problem is fueled by some of the hunting shows, with 50 yd. shots at deer, and a lot of the advertisements today. People see these and think that's the way it should be.

Just look at some of the recent posts to this forum. People with a new bow that don't know how to split pins (20-30 yd.) for a 25 yd. shot worried about their 40 yd. pin.

With my 3-D and target bows I can still shoot sub 6" groups at 60+ yds. Does this mean I should shoot deer at this range? Certainly not.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the average bow kill distance is around 18 yds. You're talking about twice that distance. Since I shot my first deer, in Dec. of 1960, my longest shot, at a deer, was somewhere around 22 yd. and I've passed on hundreds in the 30-50 yd range. Could I have hit some of them? Probably but, probably, in my opinion, isn't good enough.

I meant no offence to you, personally, but I see too many people who, flippantly, say "that's bowhunting" or "it happens to everyone" when, in reality, they just didn't do their part. If you think about it, you probably know some of the people I'm talking about. The guys who think that if they can keep all their arrows on a bale of straw, they're ready to hunt or the ones with 60 yd. pins on their hunting bows that don't shoot during the off season.

(Ref. RGT Bekah) If you ask the 99% of the people you talked to, (and they respond honestly) I think you'll find this to be true, in most cases. I don't profess to be perfect and have hit a couple of deer a little far back leading to a long miserable tracking job (one took me three days to find). I do know that if I had hit a deer through "at least one lung" I'd still be out there looking for it instead of just saying "it happens to everyone".
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I missed one this weekend from 25 yards out, my first deer I ever shot at. I am just as upset as you. I think of it as it making it even more meaningful to get one and one hell of a reason to get back out there!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Spike

well olfatguy thats ur opinion and respect that, but if u can shoot 60yrds and stack them n the bullseye everytime, and u know your are getting enough penetration to kill the animal, and u practice even during the off season, I don't see why someone who does all of this should pass up an animal they know they can kill.

As for my husbands shot, he did look all night long till his bloodtracker light went dead, charged it overnight, got up the next morning looked for hours all morning and all day that day, living in the mountains, there are lots of places the deer could have went and u can't wonder onto other peoples property and if they tell u that u cant come on their property then theres nothing u can do about it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default heya fat guy

i know for a fact if you fat hinedan shot a deer youd be lookin but there is a point where it all has to end... i looked for 2 days for that deer. YOU would have stopped looking after two days. if u live up to your name id be surprised if you looked the next morning. btw RTG_Bekah is my wife... just to throw that out there. i shoot sub 6" groups out to 80 yds. i just know my bow is capable. the problem is people like you who think they know it ALL. im comfortable shooting deer out to 70. opportunity doesnt present itself much but i can.you are not god so dont act like it.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AP HD_Jake
i know for a fact if you fat hinedan shot a deer youd be lookin but there is a point where it all has to end... i looked for 2 days for that deer. YOU would have stopped looking after two days. if u live up to your name id be surprised if you looked the next morning. btw RTG_Bekah is my wife... just to throw that out there. i shoot sub 6" groups out to 80 yds. i just know my bow is capable. the problem is people like you who think they know it ALL. im comfortable shooting deer out to 70. opportunity doesnt present itself much but i can.you are not god so dont act like it.
IMO if you shot that well at that yardage, and don't get many opportunities to take a shot like that, then practice out to 40 and make sure your dead on and maybe you wouldn't have wounded it? i know nerves get to people when taking a shot, first hand that is. What happened to bowhunting anyway, the sports about getting close to the animal. Now everyone's seeing how far away they can shoot one. Might as well use a rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.