Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Strugling With What To Do >

Strugling With What To Do

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strugling With What To Do

Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Strugling With What To Do

I know many of you have hunted for years and have faced endless frustrations and difficulties season after season. The issue of dealing with a neighbors dogs running the game off your property and surrounding area is one I know many of you have faced and still face from time to time. These dogs chase the deer ragged nearly everyday not to mension our domestic animals in the area. My best friend and I were out Saturday morning and had it happen yet again,dogs running the deer out of our hunting area. The owners refuse to pin,leash or keep them in during the hunting season or any other time. I and my best friend have one full day a week to hunt so this is a big problem with us and other land owners in the area. One problem is the fact that public land is scattered here and there around every ones property so I guess you can't really say much about it when your not on your own land hunting. Well thats enough venting for now,but I'm interested in hearing how some of you have handled this sort of thing over the years. We have pleaded with the dogs owners but with no results up to this point.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

fuggem, fugg the dogs...
hunters have rights, here in texas we have a leash law....call the warden, if they cant help ya, i would imagine something might happen to the dogs soon and they wont return home, then the owners of the dog might begin to understand "their problem".
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with halfbakedi420 I am thinking some dogs on someone else property will not be showing up at home again. We had some neighbors dogs chasing our horses and goats in our fields quite consistently and we kept telling the neighbor to pen em up or he is going to no longer have to worry about feeding them. He refused so no more dogs to worry about feeding. Then he tried to complain but it is hard to prove, and he wasnt going to raise the issue because he knew there was nothing he could do about it since he was in the wrong letting his dogs chase our livestock.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

If the dogs do not have tags I would call animal control. Also call the DNR to see if there are laws thats could work in your favor.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

There are people who will say you should never dispense with a dog no matter what. Those are likely the same people who let their dog disturb other people. The bottom line is that people who let their dogs roam all around the woods, imposing on other people despite repeated requests and warnings, those people clearly don't care about their dogs very much. I am not going to be walked on and disrespected by other people's nuisance behavior forever. At some point you have to find your own solution. If you can get a big humane trap, maybe that will work. Call the game warden once you have the dog trapped. Otherwise, there are other solutions that are less friendly. You can't let yourself be walked on and taken advantage of forever.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Be aware that many states consider it illegal to kill someone's dog, even if it's running deer (as tempting as it is to shoot em). That's why I'd trying getting the game warden to do something first...this is hunter harrassment and there are definitely laws against that most places. Also, I'd hate to kill someone's dog to find out later that this was the first time it got loose. As someone that bird hunts, in addition to bow hunting, I realize that there are times when dogs are allowed to run the woods on public land (bird hunting)...make sure you're not confusing the two. If it's just some asshat letting their dog run deer and you can confirm that, call the warden on him.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

UPhunter makes a good point. Here in Michigan you can get in big trouble shooting someones dog. My best friend had the same thing happen to him in 2002 that is happening to you. The thing was that coyote "hunters" were running thier dogs on private property out of season and the dogs were actually running the deer and not the coyotes. After several weekends of the dogs running deer and repeated attempts to get the owners to not run thier dogs on my friends property, he couldn't take it any more and shot one of the dogs. The owner came looking for it and picked up his dog. As my friend and his hunting partners were going to leave the property, the dog hunters were waiting for them at the entrance and were looking for a fight. The State Police, Sheriff and Game Warden were all dispatched and I guess it was a pretty tense situation. In the end, my friend was found guilty of killing the dog, and was sued by the dogs owner. He wound up having to pay for his lawyer (criminal and civil trial), court costs, fines and restitution to the owner. The total court related cost was almost $20,000. It also almost cost him his job as a cop. You might want to keep that in mind before you exhaust all other options.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

as for the last 2 post, better lock ur dogs up..if there isnt a dog, there is no crime..to the op..i wouldnt even respond to this post anymore, take care of bid-ness
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

I would check your local laws. Here the COs can and will shoot dogs running deer during season, but you can't - legally. Are the dogs friendly? Could you get them in your car or truck with some steak? If so, drive them to the humane society a couple counties over and pay to have them taken in there. Chances are the owners don't care enough to go looking for them and it might take a while for them to get replacements. And before anyone says, if you do that to my dogs you'd be in big trouble or I'd give you a whoopin,' save your breath and keep your dogs in your own yard. Living in the country doesn't give you license to let your dogs roam wherever they please. It's the same as trespassing and any pooch found roaming my property more than once is getting a ride to the pound if he's friendly enough to jump in my truck.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting the dog is a horrible idea, they are doing what they do naturally. Dont kill the damn dog because their owner is an idiot. They arent killing deer are they? I bet everyone on here who says to shoot them wouldnt have the guts to do it themselves if they had the chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.