Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
baiting situation >

baiting situation

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting situation

Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default baiting situation

i was walking to my stand today and saw about 20 yards from another guys stand was a pile of corn. In PA it is illegal to bait and it really made me angry. he wasnt in his stand. i dumped all the corn in the creek and left under his stand i wrote in twigs, NO BAIT. now it may not have been the most mature thing to through the corn in the creek but in my opinion i don't like shooting deer off bait. if it was legal i wouldnt care and just walk on. But if i see him doing this again should i confront him? or try and get his license number. he is about 60 years old so if i did confront him i don't see him as a physical threat. what have you guys done or would do in a situation like this?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

To make things worse, he may have ruined the spot for you also,
Check your regs, believe illegal to hunt an area that's been baited for 30 days after baits been removed
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
To make things worse, he may have ruined the spot for you also,
Check your regs, believe illegal to hunt an area that's been baited for 30 days after baits been removed
you know what makes me even more angry if he did ruin that spot? i've been hunting it since i was 12 with a bow. about 4/5 years ive been in there. its about 20 acres of woods and no one hunted it other than me and another guy i knew. then he just walks in, sets up his ladder and puts up a pile of corn, like he knew no one would ever find out, like he thinks hes hunting in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

take his stand and leave him a note saying he can retrieve his stand and the corn at the local dec office. he won't come back and you have a new stand.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
take his stand and leave him a note saying he can retrieve his stand and the corn at the local dec office. he won't come back and you have a new stand.
lol 2 wongs don make a write.
better find a new spot..i thought i heard they opened up baiting somewhere..not pa huh?
dont take his stand, thats stealing.
if ya hate bait so bad, ya need ta totally move like 5 miles away or whatever the rule is..sux for you either way
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you see it again. Report him to your local CO. They will take it from there.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Spike

You might want to find out who he is before you go off half c0cked. If he turns out to be a good friend or relative of the land owner you might just lose a good hunting spot.

That said, I'd ask him if he was aware that baiting was not legal and see how he reacted. He might just be from an area where baiting is legal and never thought about it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, turn him in. Don't get too c0cky though, some of us 60 yr. olds can still put a knot on your head if you're not careful and, I've been shot at, and shot back, in a situation like this that got out of hand. Don't take it that far.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by olfatguy
You might want to find out who he is before you go off half c0cked. If he turns out to be a good friend or relative of the land owner you might just lose a good hunting spot.

That said, I'd ask him if he was aware that baiting was not legal and see how he reacted. He might just be from an area where baiting is legal and never thought about it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, turn him in. Don't get too c0cky though, some of us 60 yr. olds can still put a knot on your head if you're not careful and, I've been shot at, and shot back, in a situation like this that got out of hand. Don't take it that far.
i saw him once last year hunting just basically scouting. he was pretty nice, seemed normal. asked me if i wanted to try out his bow. and said i can use his stand anytime. but if he keeps baiting somethings gotta be done. also the land is owned by the powerplant by it and its public.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I would try to avoid calling game commission on him. If you 2 can resolve it between you 2 great,
If not worry about what you need to keep your spot legal,
I would approach him remind him he can't be baiting, not only is it illegal, it ruins the spot for others such as yourself, you don't want to have to go around making sure your spot is clear of bait.tell him you like to keep it legal and appreciate if he wouldn't bait there.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, those 60 year olds are old and feeble. Lol. Seriously, I'd try to settle it without the CO. Chances are if he knows someone is watching he'll knock it off. Also, I doubt most COs would penalize you by saying you can't hunt there because someone else was illegally baiting if the bait is now gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.