Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine Shot

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spine Shot

Old wide ten point ran right under my stand this weekend. He came out blazing from the hardwoods after the goose hunters to my East shot 20 rounds. I usually never get surprised - usually see them coming when they are moving fast- but he got me this time. I pulled the bow out of the holder when he was 10 yards out heading right at me, then he stops dead in his tracks and looks up at me then trots right under my stand giving me the flag as he headed North. He was straight away so I decided not to shoot. Could not stop him with a grunt, he was hell bent on getting out of there.

I have read where others have shot the spine but I don't like that shot, never taken it and would not especially on a moving deer. Any of you have experience with hitting the spine directly under your stand and if so, what was the outcome.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

If it was me, and this is only my opinion. I would take the shot where the arrow would exit the chest of the deer. If you miss the spine the arrow would travel through the vitals leaving a huge blood trail. If I dont feel comfortable with the shot I dont take it. So being in the same position I may pass as well but I doubt it. I tend to be trigger happy.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spine shot a deer this past weekend. Arrow hit a twig and took undesired trajectory. I had to get down out of my stand immediately and put another arrow in the lungs to finish her off. I hate having to do that, but that's bowhunting.

As far as a spine shot between the shoulders while deer is under the stand. I've read that is a good shot to take, but I don't know if I would take it. Seems to me it might end with the deer thrashing on the ground for a good bit. To me that is not a desirable shot.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The straight down spin shot is not a good shot. If you do hit the spin perfectly it will most likely drop in its tracks and have to be put down with another shot. If you hit to the side slightly you will most likely hit one lung and have no exit wound making tracking near impossible. Its very easy to lose a deer shot in one lung and it may even live.

I will not take this shot myself. I commend you on holding off on the shot.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

seen them die quick and had to shoot 4 more into others. its a good shot if he isnt running. you get spine and a lung or heart or trachia. to each is own.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Directly under you and your site might be on him but the arrow on your foot.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot deer that got spined and they both went down right where they stood but didn't die and had to put another arrow in them. You did the right thing in not taking the shot. If you missed the spine, you could have wounded it and not recovered the deer. At least now you know that he is out there and just might get another chance at him!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Not an ethical shot because there's so little margin for error. Might as well shoot em in the eye if you're going to take that shot (the target is about the same size). I took one high angle shot like that once early on, and regretted it. It glanced off the shoulder blade and the arrow fell out. The deer was OK, but probably had a nasty pain in the shoulder for a few weeks. I learned my lesson right there: shots with a very narrow margin of error aren't worth it. Respect the deer and wait for a good shot IMO.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good to know some biology

and where a shot should be placed, before going hunting.

If you shoot only one place on a deer, you only know one place.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shot isn't advisable for the reasons described above. You did the right thing. Watching a spine shot deer thrash and struggle as it slowly dies isn't pretty. Missing the spine from that angle will result in a single lung hit - at best - and a miserable tracking job that may not turn out as you had hoped. Pass those shots and hope you get another, safer chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.