Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Strugling With What To Do >

Strugling With What To Do

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strugling With What To Do

Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Imho I would find any way to avoid hurting the dog. Its not the dogs fault that the owner allows it to run loose; therefore, it should not be punished for its owners fault.... I would contact the DNR to take care of the situation
Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly believe the owners of the dogs are guilty of abusing and even killing their animals by being indifferent to the trouble they cause their fellow hunters. The people that own these dogs are hunters during gun season only, therefore when they go out they must pin or leash their animals or they follow them. I have personally asked one of them to please leash his dogs after they riuned several hunts last year, he said he does but this is only a half truth because when he is not out they run free. 3 of his dogs have been shot by land owners in the area and his only response is get more dogs. His four neighbours have warned him to keep them away from their cows and calves,chickens and guineas. All in the area have exaused reasonable channels therefore the unpleasant choice of shooting them has come about by others. I have decided to simply stay away and hunt where this rarely ever happens except for a stray coyote once in a while which I can shoot legally. Whats hard about doing this is that I spent all summer scouting,clearing,feeding, using trail cams and cultivating a safe bedding area for the many deer in the area so that my best friend and I could increase our chances on his land and the local forest. It was wishful thinking to think this problem would just go away on my part. He personally(my best friend) like his neighbours has the right to protect and keep his property free of nuisance dogs which I don't have being a guest. I'm there nearly every weekend but not anymore until this is all resolved by law or the land owners rights to act as is fitting for them. This may seem like the dogs owners are getting their way but after speaking with those most impacted by this situation,I think the dogs will soon be gone and different ones will unfortunately take their doomed place. Thanks to everyone for your input it has helped me by hearing the pros and cons of each solution suggested.

Last edited by doetrain; 10-25-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the law won't help, and it gets this bad that property is being damaged, sometimes it has to be S.S.S.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Call animal control its a simple process I have seen guys no longer able to hunt period because they shot a dog its a serious offense and the humane society will hit you from all sides if they get word of it,its not worth the trouble.You got to dial the phone.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
as for the last 2 post, better lock ur dogs up..if there isnt a dog, there is no crime..to the op..i wouldnt even respond to this post anymore, take care of bid-ness
Yeah, we already know from other threads that you shoot first, ask questions later, halfbaked. After all, every loose dog is there intentionally and deserves to be shot. Too bad that we're not all perfect like you are and our dogs occasionally get loose, or accidentally lose contact with us when we're bird hunting and stray across a property line. Sigh.

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If the law won't help, and it gets this bad that property is being damaged, sometimes it has to be S.S.S.
That's the point: it's rare that this can't be handled through a live trap or through a game warden (I've gone both routes, and know they work).
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are clearly missing the point of his thread. He said it was a neighbors dogs that were running loose on his personal property. It is not some random guy, he has contacted them and asked them to cage the dogs multiple times. They refuse to cage them. This is not an accidental escape on the dogs part this is intentional. And as another poster stated the owners can only blame themselves when fido doesnt come home. And for the record it wouldnt hurt my feelings at all to shoot a nuisance animal on my property. Think of it like a coyote in a sense the dogs are the same as a coyote. Like UncleNorby said Shoot Shovel Shut Up. It is hard to prove you shot the dog when you cant find the bodies.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

DNR called, got me hooked up with the game Warden. I explained what is going on and he is going to speak to the dog owners about their responsibility to leash,pin or keep these animals out of the woods and off the neighboring properties.He said it is more a County Sheriffs issue but he can warn them and educate them about the danger they are putting their dogs in with hunters in the state forest area. I'm done with it now and hope my efforts save more dogs from a certain death and hunters from future frustrations in that area. I personally have no desire to shoot anyones dogs,but I wish states would get tough on this issue and that hunters would not be looked upon as the primary problem when this situation comes about. Many Conservation Officers and county Sheriffs are hunters themselves and know first hand what this is like but must inforce the laws on the books which I hope protect both parties involved in the issue.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Legality of shooting the dogs.

Here is the law for Indiana on shooting dogs running the country side.
Dogs Running at Large

Most statutes do not allow a farmer to shoot dogs that are merely running loose (at large). A North Dakota rancher, who shot a neighbor's greyhound after it ran through his cattle herd without particularly disturbing the cattle, was not protected by the state statute, which allows killing a dog only if it is "worrying" livestock. The rancher had to pay $300 to the dog's owner. 7
Some states, however, allow farmers to shoot any dog that is, in the words of the Indiana statute, "roaming over the country unattended." Under this statute, an appeals court upheld the right of a farmer to shoot dogs he said were trying to get into his chicken pen in the middle of the night. 8 The dogs, two coonhounds, had been hunting with their owner but got separated from him in a heavy rainstorm about 2 a.m. (For the uninitiated, raccoon hunting is done at night.) Under the relatively severe Indiana law, it made no difference that the dogs were bothering the chickens; their hours were numbered as soon as they got away from their master.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roaming Over The Country Or County Unattended on a daily basis,week after week and month after month is an accurate statement for these dogs. These are not hunting dogs that get away from their owners for a short period of time.But are pit bull and mutt mixed that are untrained and let to run wild at all times except as stated when the owners are hunting themselves. My best friend and his wife pack their sidearms when on their property because of these as well as other dogs that are dumped in the area by sorry owners who get tired of them.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

The fact that they have been running wild for months and that your friends are packing heat because of them clearly justifies shooting them at least to me anyways. As long as they die on your property it is perfectly legal in Indiana. So I vote blast em and do you and your neighbors a service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.