HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ohio hunters!!!!! Be in your best stand today!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/351954-ohio-hunters-your-best-stand-today.html)

ManofTheFall 10-20-2011 08:27 PM

Ohio hunters!!!!! Be in your best stand today!!!!!

To all of you Ohio hunters, be in your best stands Friday afternoon October 21st. After 2 days of heavy rain and windy conditions, it is coming to an end. Here in East Central Ohio around 3pm on Friday the rains will stop and the winds are subsiding slowly all day. The pre-rut is kicking in and this should by far be the best day of the season to hunt so far. Get into your stands and wait on the monster you have been watching all summer to stroll by. Good luck Ohio boys, knock one down!!!!!

nodog 10-21-2011 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall (Post 3864296)
To all of you Ohio hunters, be in your best stands Friday afternoon October 21st. After 2 days of heavy rain and windy conditions, it is coming to an end. Here in East Central Ohio around 3pm on Friday the rains will stop and the winds are subsiding slowly all day. The pre-rut is kicking in and this should by far be the best day of the season to hunt so far. Get into your stands and wait on the monster you have been watching all summer to stroll by. Good luck Ohio boys, knock one down!!!!!

Sounds good except for on undeniable fact, the fields are still full of crops and the deer have no reason to leave them. Watched a group the other day eat, poop and bed for hours out in an alfalfa/bean field, they never left and no reason for them to leave, plenty of water ta boot. As soon as the crops come in things will be much better. Corn next to my place is still greeenish, be a while before they must travel.

voodoochild 10-21-2011 09:50 AM

You talked me into it, we have soybean up,
so no biggy with crops,,Good luck

VA5326 10-21-2011 02:44 PM

Sounds like ideal conditions. Good luck Ohio boys!!

ManofTheFall 10-22-2011 08:51 PM

Well, guess what happened to me Friday evening. I sat for 2 1/2 hours and nothing. It hit 7:00pm and I said it's time to get down. Then the fun began. I hear crunching to my left, crunching out in front of me. Legal shooting light is 7:07. I said to myself you better hurry and come to me. The crunching out in front of me I never seen. The crunching to my left was a different story. I watched and I finally seen the deer after about three minutes. So, it is now 7:03. I have 4 minutes left. The deer starts to come up the hill but he is angling towards me. He finally gets to a point where I can see his rack. This buck made my 144" buck look small. He kept angling towards me but was going to end up going behind me. He stops about 15 yards directly behind me. He stood there for like 15 minutes. The he trotted back the way he came for about 15 yards. I could not get down because I did not want to spook this buck from this area. We still have three more buck tags (wife, son, daughter) and I definitely do not want to blow this buck out of the area. He starts to walk off and I wait to get down until I can't hear him anymore. I finally get down like at 7:30. After I let my bow down and I climb down out of the stand I thought everything was cool. As I was unhooking my bow from the string I hear this deer blow at me. I think it was the buck but I'm not sure. It could have been another deer that was coming out of the bedding area. This stand sits just outside of probably the largest bedding area and most secluded bedding on our property. I just really hope I did not spook that buck. I am placing a no go on our 2 stands on this bedding area for about a week. I know a big mature buck will usually tolerate one time being spooked and after that if it happens again he will more than likely avoid the area for quite awhile. So probably towards the end of this coming week we will be getting back in there. If something similar to this happens again everyone knows to stay in the stand longer to try and avoid this. This is one thing I hate about evening hunts. Any of you guys ever experience things like this?

nodog 10-23-2011 12:59 PM

I have a little piece of property that I live on, not big but is one of the woods that dots this part of the state, surrounded by farm fields. Was headed out this morning but just couldn't make myself do it and based on the pics my trail cam has given me didn't see much reason in going so I went back to bed and slept till 10, very rare for me and much needed.

The evening was supposed to be nice so I showered, dressed outside and crept like a snail back to one of my stands. Slunk like an ant up the tree, quietly got everything set and turned to face the woods, to my shock the big buck I'd seen on the cam was bedded 15 yards away licking itself. I slowly turned to get my bow and thought I'd be busted at any minute, but was able to turn draw and as the buck was licking itself send a thunderhead right down it's neck toward vitals. It rolled over as I was grabbing for another arrow and let it fly toward the chest, this one tipped with a rage. It hit and I grabbed another, a rage head and it hit a little high. It still was a twitching when I let the fourth arrow loose through it's chest tipped with another thunderhead. To say the least it never got up. Haven't weighed it yet but it's got to be 200. You can see a pic of that deer down in the trail cam forum as it came out of the fog.

What a rush, still pretty high about the whole thing that didn't take an hour from shower to showing the wife. 4 of my kids helped bring it up, they were pumped too.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trai...0528-deer.html

nodog 10-23-2011 01:47 PM

205 dressed which puts this deer at around 260. That's a lot a deer. I feel for the farmers that produced it. :)

Bible_Man 10-23-2011 06:10 PM

Nicely done, nodog! Pretty buck. And ManoftheFall, I highly doubt that was the buck that blew at you. Mature bucks rarely blow, from my experience. In fact, I have never had a mature buck blow at me. I have had them bust me, walked in on them on the way to a stand and whatnot and have never had one blow. Does on the other hand will blow at just about anything. I don't like it when they get to blowing...if they begin, I will do everything in my power to take them out of the herd.