Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking for compound bow help >

Looking for compound bow help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for compound bow help

Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Spike

Default Looking for compound bow help

I have been bowhunting for about 5 years now, i am 16. I started out with an old PSE game getter. I moved on to a horton crossbow and this past summer i bought a barnett quad 400. I am looking for a compound bow and just want some input from guys who know more than me. I am a self taught hunter and dont know very much. any input would be greatly appreciated. I have no problems buying older or used bows. would like to stay under 500 bucks of possible. PSE,diamond,matthews, whats every1s opinion for a good first compound bow.

THanks again,
Nate Harrell
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can easily find a PSE, Diamond, or almost any other bow in that $$ range by looking for one that is a couple years old. But first, get measured for draw length. Once you know that, try shooting a couple to see what you like best.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Spike

thanks for the help. what do you shoot?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot the mathews switchback xt and like it alot, not to say that there is other good bows out there used. If i was in your shoes i would start hitting the used racks and heck even the new racks and test shoot as many bows as i could to get a feel for what i like. Most archery shops are more than happy to let you try them out so why not.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Spike

HOw much did you pay for the matthews you have?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Spike

Find a pro shop you're comfortable with and get set up right. It'll save you headaches and cash, in the long run. A lot of them have used bows, or know of someone who upgraded and wants to sell one. Most are more that willing to help you get started because they depend on repeat business from satisfied customers.

Just get something that fits you, feels good and, is set up properly. It doesn't have to be the top of the line speed demon , either. Most of my stuff is 15+ years old, fits me, shoots well and, kills deer just as dead as the new stuff.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help, i sadly had my old 1996 chevy caprice break down and that cost me everything i had saved. Gotta wait till next year to do some hunting! cant wait for ice fishing now ahahah
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Im 17 and i started hunting with an ole PSE myself. then last year i picked up a bear charge from dicks sporting goods. The charge is a very fast and quiet bow and its pretty cheap. I got the bow, a quiver, a 5 pin sight, a whisker biscuit, and a free hat out the door for $430. Its a very nice bow and i recommend it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Spike

THanks deerslayer. NIce to here from another michigan boy on here what city u hunting in man?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

also try martin bows their name isnt as big as it was 20 years ago but they are good affordable bows a little hand shock but nothing that cant be fixed with some limb jaxs and some string leaches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.