Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
mechanical broadheads vs fixed blade broadheads >

mechanical broadheads vs fixed blade broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical broadheads vs fixed blade broadheads

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default mechanical broadheads vs fixed blade broadheads

i used two blade rage broadheads this year and neither one of the o rings slid down like they are suppose to. now i'm not hating or anything on rage broadheads because i love them. but i have shot a ton of deer never had that happen until this year. so i am starting to look at fixed blades for more penetration and was wondering if any of you have a preference on them.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed I think 20 animals now with the rage broad heads. I have had pass though's on 19 of them. The one that did not pass though was a extreme quartering away shot that sank 23 inches of arrow in the animal. That is plenty good for me.

-john
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Spike

for fixed blades i shoot slick tricks they fly awesome and are crazy sharp
http://www.slicktrick.net/
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I use Muzzy's mostly but so far this year have taken 2 deer with Rocky Mtn Snypers. Theyre about the same as the rage but have a chisel point. Both deer died real fast & they definately hit where I was looking. But now I only have one left & they dont seem to be made anymore. I might try the Rages but would prefer a chisel tip to the current blade.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nap.

Been shooting Thunderheads for 18 years now, never had a problem with them not opening or passing thru. I won't take a shot over 30 yards, so "I've" never experienced any arrow flight problems either. Ive looked at virtually every new Bow hunting piece of equipment that has come out, settled on "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I think you will get more reliability and penetration out of a fixed blade, just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

muzzy 3 blade, thunderhead 100 grain, NAP hell razor. i shoot rages to but im not switching until the end of this pack. just because i dont feel like paying 20 bucks to replace blades. so i will probably go to one of the 3 i mentioned above.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Only reason that i switched back to fixed blades is that I'm not a fan of the one-time-use of the mechanical. I like the fact that I can at least practice with used fixed blades after I shoot a deer with them.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

G5 t3's are pretty good broadhead and don't have to worry about a o-ring. I'm using the Redhead Gator's which is just like a rage but without the o-ring. Fixed or mechanical will work though.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Steelforce phat head, durable, holds an edge well and flies true. Shot Rage 2 blades one season and switched back. Killed the buck with it (huge wound channel) but I too did not like the one time use when they are $12.50 per head along with having to replace the O-ring and having to pull the foam out of my quiver to store them. Add to it penetration is better with fixed blades

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-19-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.