HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   bring them close? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/351778-bring-them-close.html)

sutton 10-18-2011 12:54 PM

bring them close?

well with school and eveything i only get to hunt saturdays in PA so kinda have a problem. My father and i put in a 3 acre alfalfa food plot this summer on a farm that only he and i get to hunt. the first saturday i hunted a stand on the one edge of the food plot and i saw 10 bucks and a bunch of does but nothing came close and they always come out 10 mins before light (knowledge from hunting and scouting cams) last saturday my father hunted it and the same problem happened he saw a big 8 and a couple of does but nothing came within 80 yds. i set up a blind sunday on the edge of the field where they usually filter too. i plan on hunting the blind on friday evening. my question is if they come out again and do the same thing as in staying out of range is there any ideas of what i could do. this is one time i think attractant would help if they were legal.
thanks
sutton

CVG Ohio 10-18-2011 03:25 PM

I am surprised that no one yet has said " Sent control". It would seem to me that they might be smelling you. I would guess you do your best on scent control. I am thinking that maybe there is a safe travel coridor they are using and hopfully you Have set up in the right spot.

Good Luck let us know how it works for you.

CVG Ohio

sutton 10-18-2011 05:43 PM

im a freak about scent then have never spooked or even been nervous its just that where they come in at there is no place for me to set up and when they dont come in that way they just come from the middle of another adjacent field the only places i can hunt they dont come to really except sometimes in the middle of the night i guess if i could hunt it enough eventually one would come but i dont have that kind of time thats why i was hoping that someone might have a trick or something that might work

blakefrautschi 10-18-2011 05:53 PM

possibly do a little rattling, or possibly a deer decoy, they might be curious and walk right over!

sutton 10-18-2011 06:09 PM

rattling wont work because its out in the opening the would know something was up when they heard rattling but didnt see anything. and a decoy did cross my mind but i just didnt feel good about the idea for some reason. i wonder tho if i pulled a drag line through the field?

sdhunter11 10-18-2011 06:25 PM

+1 on the decoy, the only thing i would worry about is a doe coming first and spooking off.

*twodogs* 10-19-2011 05:34 AM

Keep hunting, play the wind, they will get less cautious during the rut.

halfbakedi420 10-19-2011 06:24 AM

maybe putting a tent in the middle of the field and hunt outta it...i have seen a guy use a blue...yes blue...tent and the deer walked right by him, barely looking at it...so a good camo blind should be fine.
also, i think the deer take a slightly different trek when eating in a field, almost like they are grid searching from day to day. so if they miss ya 1 day, maybe in the next day or 3, they might walk right by ya. gl

sutton 10-19-2011 07:57 AM

sdhunter11- thats the one problem there are always atleast 8 does out there with a buck or two and they always come out first thats what scares me about a decoy
halfbaked1420- i dont have that kind of time i only get the weekends with school im 4 hours away thats why i was hoping that maybe here would be a way to get them close or to try and move in on them i may try and put a blind up in the middle of the field but i think that would be a last minute resort.
i have a video camera that is shipped and on its way hopefully i can get it thursday and be able to shoot some footage so that you could see what im dealing with some of these bucks r bruisers and i really dont want to screw it up i just want an oppertunity

sdhunter11 10-19-2011 10:41 AM

If there are alot of does then you are screwed with a decoy, them does will screw it up every time.