Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How many times have you missed before connecting on your first bow kill? >

How many times have you missed before connecting on your first bow kill?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many times have you missed before connecting on your first bow kill?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was lucky to kill a doe with my first shot. It took 2 seasons to make that shot., but I made it count. This is my 7th year bow hunting, and I think I have missed about 7 shots. I am sure I will miss a few more.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow hunt'n since '82

I haven't missed and I haven't lost one.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

dont know if you can really call it a miss on my first deer since i shot the deer that was 15 feet behind the one i was aiming at. pulled the bow as soon as i touched the release.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

My brother went spot and stalk rabbit hunting to get practice in before he went deer hunting it helped him alot with instinctive shooting. His first kill was on a hog that he instinctively shot at about 20 yards. It was draw and sqeeze he says he didnt even think he just drew pointed and released it was quick that hog was in a ditch about to leave so he had about a second and he got it done. He credits the 3 months of rabbit hunting for his success he then proceeded to shoot 3 does nailing all of them later that year. So he is 4 for 4 on big game and I am not going to count how many times he missed rabbits but he now goes out and can hit a sparrow from 40 yards with out thinking so the rabbits helped him a ton.
I personally shot my first doe at 30 yards with a bow I borrowed from a friend. I shot it in camp the day before to get the feel of it and shot a doe at thirty yards with it. Hit her in the crease of the front shoulder and sternum. She jumped the string and turned towards me and it anchored her she did not move. Second deer was later that day another doe perfect broadside at about 40 yards. Used my 30 pin because I underestimated how far she was. Hit her a little low but she only went 30 yards and crashed. I clipped the heart and very bottom of her lungs. But I had shot competition archery in 4H for 4 years so I was proficient with a bow before then. I got my bow for christmas because I was hooked after that first hunt it is an adrenaline rush like no other. I havent been able to go out yet this year with my bow. I am thinking about using my bow instead of a rifle this year just to draw blood with it. I should be able to but the hammer down on some does and maybe a mulie buck but we will see.
My dad was borrowing the same bow that I used last year also. We were sitting in a pop up blind and no deer came in but a group of javelinas came in and he had just enough room to get the shot off out the window his shot flew way wide and we couldnt figure out what happened but then we realized we forgot about the fletching the arrow made it clear but one of the fletching caught on the side of the window thowing it wide. So that was the only miss last year and he would have nailed it but the arrow caught the blind. We got him a crossbow this year but we have not been able to go out at all this year.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tacswa3
Did you notice something was wrong during target practice?
yep, the day i shot that one in the ass... When i shot the deer it was the first time i shot the bow for that day. When i got back home to shoot to see what was going on i realized that my arrows were consistently going to the left.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

First time i shot at a deer with a bow i was so damn nervouse, shot at a buck 3 times, one low, another low, then one right over his back. Never saw him again lol. But havent missed since either...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Spike

Well, I'm doing something wrong here. I missed again twice this evening. 20 and 30 yard shots. I just practiced earlier in the afternoon elevated at about 13' foot. The stand I'm hunting is 16.5 feet tall. Target practice was just fine, even cut an arrow fletching hitting so close. So tomorrow I'm taking the 3D target out to the stand and I'm gonna shoot from all different ranges to find out what my arrows are doing from that height. I can't figure out why I'm missing at these distances on a live target. Anyone know how well the G5 Montec's sharpen up after hitting dirt? LOL