HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help with the bugs!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/351339-help-bugs.html)

EFH 10-11-2011 04:26 PM

Help with the bugs!!!

Hey guys, went out this afternoon and hung my last stand in a river bottom. I was in there about two weeks ago to find my tree and the skeeters were pretty thick, but was expected this time of year. Today though was almost unbearable just putting my stand on the tree! That got me thinking about bug spray and getting winded, the same old battle every year. I use a therma cell now but on windy days it dosen't do much good, and used no stinkin bugs spray in the past but its still got an odor to it. What have you used to successfully to keep these f*^kers away without ruining your hunt?

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-11-2011 04:56 PM

Thermacell... Every hunter and fisherman should have one.

chaded 10-11-2011 06:43 PM

I haven't tried one yet but I will be buying a thermacell this week before I go out again. I hunt in a swampy area a lot and I got ate to pieces last week. Nothing like standing there with deer 30 yards from you and you have to let the skeeters bite you in the face because the deer are looking right at you. Not sure what else is out there that won't smell.

Krypt Keeper 10-12-2011 05:03 AM

Thermacell is one of the best outdoors inventions.

I dropped mine walking out saturday morning around 1030 or so.

That afternoon I went to go to another stand and couldn't find it.. I stopped what I was doing and started backtracking to my other stand to find it. 1/2 way there I find it.

Was getting being eaten alive at my truck and walking to find my thermacell. I hunt near a swamp and the skeeters are small turkey buzzards in size.. No way I could sit for 3 or 4 hours with out it.

Bible_Man 10-12-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR (Post 3859807)
Thermacell... Every hunter and fisherman should have one.

X1000! They work like a charm.

wallhangr 10-12-2011 07:23 AM

Thermacell if there is no wind, a clothing spray with permathin (sp?) otherwise. WalMart used to carry it, but no more this year. BP/Cableas/Dicks will have it.

jermelott 10-12-2011 08:14 AM

I use a thermacell also. If the wind is bad, typically the skeeters are not.

KCMO Cityboy 10-12-2011 09:45 AM

Maybe I was lucky, but here is what happened to me just this past weekend.
Got to my tree at 6:05am. Was already getting eat'n up by the skeeters so I sprayed myself with OFF from ground level. In the tree at 6:10 and had 3 doe under, and I mean under, my stand at 6:20. Draw your own conclusions. They sniffed a tree I had touched the previous day and sniffed my ladder.

polaris754 10-12-2011 04:56 PM

if i dont use the therm o cell i use a scentless spray , its mostly a therm o cell call they werk