Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
finally lived the dream >

finally lived the dream

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finally lived the dream

Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default finally lived the dream

I just got back from an African Safari and spent 5 days hunting the south african bush. Took down 3 animals and had countless shot opportunities. I had a great time and above all my whole family had a great time, including the wife ( which is very important !)

I took down impala ram, blue wildebeest and a nice waterbuck.

I'll post pics and stories later on....

Frank
Belgium
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

It is always better to say "I did" than "I wish i did", congrats and i for one cant wait to see pics.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Spike

That's totally badass, bro. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default my first african bowhunt

So, my 5 day hunt in Limpopo Province South Africa.

I booked the hunt with a small outfitter, Tau-Nkwe safaris and we hunted at Karoi gamefarm in Nylstroom near Kranskop mountain. A 2000 hectare hunting estate with all the antilope species and more.
This strictly bowhunting concession would me my base for the 5 day hunt.
We arrived around 3 in the afternoon and by 5 I was the blind. After 30min waterbuck females came in to check out the waterhole and the little luzerne left from the last feed. A nice group of females and young males, easely spooked...even by a little gust of wind, real wild animals, this wasn't going to be easy.
My PH and outfitter wouldn't let me shoot anything less then decent trophee quality. And I was here for horns and not for meat, so we let them pass. My day ended well, because where there are females, there are big rams......

Frank
Belgium
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Second day, we were up and ready at 5.30, everything set up in a blind overlooking a great grassy plain. I could see blesbok, impala, blue wildebeest and ostrich but far away. No wind and nice warm weather, perfect for hunting. The blind wasn't dug in too deep so when we sat down we couldn't see out of the small windows. I stood up because I heard something and just in front an old blesbok ram was drinking at the waterhole. before I could get my bow in hand the animal walked out of shooting range. I was dissapointed because this was an animal heavely hunted and a lot of guys were after this old ram. I might have more luck later...
Not more than 1h later a pregnant impala walked in and she was totally at ease. She started feeding on the leftover luzerne and we held our breath, bow ready and arrow ****ed.
A few minutes later an old impala ram walked in and got next to the female, head high and nose in the wind. We stopped breathing and waited for this guy to get relaxed. Not one of the big rams I saw on the plains but taking an old animal with a nice set of horns is always satisfying and patience in such cases is hard to maintain. I had already ranged the spot and it was 12m. Since I have my pins on 11,18,25,32,39m I put the 11m pin on the killspot and let one go....The arrow went straigth thru, taking out both lungs and the ram jumped up and ran behind the blind out of sight. The PH didn't see him go down but I was confident it was a dead on shot. We waited for 15min and went around in a circle. I had slick tricked my arrows with 125gr magnums but none the less, not a single drop of blood the first 25m. We found him by his white belly and when we walked towards him after 30m there was a nice blood trail. I think adrenaline closes up these tuff animals really well.
Double lung shot and my first animal was bagged, I was very pleased and hungry for more.....
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

After the first morning hunt we went back to the lodge for a brunch and a nice chat with the owner and his wife.
At 3 o'clock we went back to a blind on top of the mountain where we saw the waterbuck females and staked out until it was almost too dark too aim or shoot my bow.
Not bad for a first day, IMHO.
The next morning we went back to the blind down on the plains because I wanted either a chance on that old blesbok, a bigger impala ram or wildebeest all wich we had seen the day before.
The same thing again, the old blesbok came in from the front and I had my bow ready but the animal wouldn't stop, he walked at a nice tempo passed the waterhole and the luzerne and just left us standing there. Now I knew why so many had tried to get him down. We didn't spook him, no wind or noise. He just walked by and he didn't give me a decent shot opp.
So we waited not wanting to sit down and miss out another chance. After awhile wildebeest, about 30 of them started to close in. It takes them more than an 1.5h to close the distance of about 200m. Very careful animals, first the smaller ones and the females come in, then the bigger males and then at last the old bulls, one even with a crooked horn. They all come drink and eat. I let them settle and after they jump and stirr a few times I pick my prey and nice mature animal with at least 27" horns.
He is still standing quartering but I don't like it and wait at full draw for him to turn more towards me. Another bull pushes him out open and I shoot, aiming for heart and lungs. A big rush and the whole herd dashes off, with one bull jumping and kicking. He bolts not more than 30m and falls dead within sight of the blind.
I can see the PH amazed of what the Destroyer/FMJ/Slicktrick combo is capable of. He takes off his hat and scratches his head.
A heart shot and lungs as well, a big puddle of blood evidence of the damage done.
Second day, second animal, again a very pleased hunter.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Third day is a bummer....In the morning the blind on the plains is compromised, even the ostrich keeps away and the old blesbok walks round in a wide circle.
The evening hunt is even worse, we go sit in the blind on the mountain and we scare a big waterbuck who was waiting in the bush when we arrive. After that nothing else comes in except a few birds.
The owner picks us up and he drives us to a dammed piece of water with a nice patch of reeds. At the water's edge stands a beautiful waterbuck, probably the one we spooked on top of the mountain.
A perfect picture, the big ram with the low red sun shining and giving him this golden glow. I had found my new goal and the whole night at the bomafire we talk of this animal. I had a trailcam which we placed at the mountain blind and we find out that a group of 5 or 6 big waterbucks arrive after 6 in the evening. that's about 15min later than when we left the last time.
In the morning we try a different hide at the other side of the mountain and wait for waterbuck. Not more than 10min later two big nyala rams come in and start guzzling up the leftover luzerne. This antilope takes my breath away, graceful and beautifully coloured animals with a very expressive facial marking. But not on my list and a little over my budget. These two suckers keep munching away the little bait I had and I start calculating the possibilities if I can't keep my cool and put the big ram down. My PH doesn't push my buttons and just makes me a better price. I let down and put my bow back on the hook....and I bite my lip. We decide to make a move, leave the hide and go see if there are waterbuck rams at the dam. We take the other side of the dam wall and we stick our heads over to see a big ram with his head down grazing.
We start stalking the reeds but the buck in the dam suddenly disappears like a ghost. A big animal that size escapes us, without making a sound.
The dam gives us cover enough to try going for some impala but we always push too fast and they spot us. Not an easy task when there are 30 pair of eyes looking at 2 guys in camo.
But I had seen my quarry and was pumped....
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

That evening I wanted to be there before the heat of the day subsided, we drove over to the blind and once again the big buck is standing a mere 20m away looking at the truck. When we stop he sprints and gets out of sight. I was so mad and at the same time impressed. This is what hunting is all about in my book. I make the call and I decide to stay put. We have to wait a full hour before we see the buck make a big turn and come in from the right. Out of shooting range and angle. He then walks around the blind and waits on the right side, sniffing and looking, his ears like two radars....
he slowly gets into a left shootinglane but since I am a lefty He makes it very hard for me to aim. I let him get closer and he starts feeding, his head constantly coming up to check everything out.
I leave the shot since he is still standing head first. Suddenly he scares and like lightning dissapears leaving me with a feeling of being played......
The Ph tries to comfort me and tells me we will get him. And before I can put my bow down we see a shadow come in from the right and the same big ram comes in, decides he had played enough and for him the blind was empty.
He sets himself broadside and thru the left window I move with a drawn bow over, bowing forward and shoot. I see the arrow go in and hear the hollow sound of the impact on the lungs. In the instant when he turns to bolt I see the red stain grow bigger on his hide....
My PH keeps following him and within 5 seconds he sees him fall.
I never felt such emotions on a hunt. I feel the adrenaline subside and make way for a sudden wave of sadness. Releaved I could give him a good shot, we walk towards him and the sadness passes over to joy. I kneel down next to this magnificent animal and pay my respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YtcJ8tZOQA
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I have the pics up on the facebook page of slick trick broadheads

F
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

Awesome stories man! The addition of the video was like icing on the cake! ha. Looked to be super high quality, and I only had it on 360p! Congrats again, and thanks for sharing.