Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how will logging effect the deer? >

how will logging effect the deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how will logging effect the deer?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default how will logging effect the deer?

They are logging trees on the property we hunt today and tomorrow and the season opens this Saturday. They are taking about 10 trees from one area all within about 100 yards of one stand and 10 in another spot near a stand some are within feet of my stand.

The logger said the deer will actually come to eat the top of the freshly cut trees, but i'm scared that so close to the season the deer will be so spooked from all the noise and the freshly cut land scape that i wont see a deer for weeks.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with him, they love freshly cut trees. if it makes you feel better the power company came through some time in the two weeks before our season opener and cleared the power lines of all the small pines that were growing, and I still saw plenty of deer opening weekend.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Logged ours we saw more deer right after they were done 3 days hunt as you would deer will b all over regardless of noise
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by matt068
Logged ours we saw more deer right after they were done 3 days hunt as you would deer will b all over regardless of noise
Thats good to know thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

i have seen my father shoot a deer while he ( the deer) was standing about 15 yrds from the skidder that had been running all morning. The workers had left for lunch i guess and we saw the deer on the way out. they arent bothered by it at all. especially in area where logging is a regular practice
Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

One of the pieces of property I got access to this year they are logging out BIG time and while the farmer was showing me around it he said nobody else will hunt there because they think their ruining it. He then shows me the paths that were made from the skidder the day before and there was already tons of deer sign in them.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a good thing
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think you'll see much immediate effect, as others have pointed out. If the area is opened up, however, either from the removal of trees or openings from skid trails, you may well see the deer change their patterns a bit over the next few years. Do some scouting after season to figure out if it has affected you much. I had to abandon a stand location in one of my areas because they opened it up too much (for the deer...it was a good logging job for the forest) and the deer moved their travel route a couple hundred yards away.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

i agree my property was logged 10 years ago and was great durring and actually improves from the new undergrowth
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what was the effect on your hunt? How did the logging change things?

Loggers around here clear cut our hunting area and there are no trees left at all to hang a stand. It looks like a Walmart parking lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.