HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New string, where and what kind? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/351236-new-string-where-what-kind.html)

tealboy 10-10-2011 04:08 AM

New string, where and what kind?

My mathews Q2 bow is 7-8 years old and has the original strings/cables. I had the local mathews retailer inspect it last year and he said they were fine, don't replace (i only shoot just before and during the season, not year round). However, I've been told by several friends and the local bass pro shop that this is bad advice, the strings are way past their useful life even though they look good. Where should I purchase and what brand do you recommend. I was told the strings may cost appx $110 and another $15 to install plus another $15 to retune the bow.

I guess strings are another thing to consider as I think about buying a used mathews switchback. The strings could easily be 4-5 years old so whatever the purchase price is, I'll need to think about spending another $140 for strings, right?

UncleNorby 10-10-2011 04:35 AM

The seller should be able to tell you the age of the strings on a used bow.

Bible_Man 10-10-2011 08:16 AM

Strings shouldn't cost you that much. Just look on ebay or amazon for the Zebra twist strings, or whatever brand you want. If you can't find what you want on there, go to a pro shop and get them to order what you need. They WILL NOT cost $100...don't let them tell you that they do.

tealboy 10-10-2011 09:28 AM

i was told I needed winners choice and they are over $110 plus the install fee, etc. but maybe there is less expensive but comparable options like zebra mentioned above

sdhunter11 10-10-2011 07:25 PM

I just bought new winners choice strings and cables for my switchback xt from scheels in bismarck, nd, and it only cost me $104, i think they installed them for free and they also replaced the worn rubber string stops on the cam as well. The strings and cables where 90 some dollars and the string stops were like 8 bucks, so yea, i think they installed them for free.

BGfisher 10-11-2011 04:52 AM

Zebra strings have a pretty bad reputation for creep so I would not recommend them. they are, for the money, one of the worst string sets you can buy. Marketed by Mathews so what would you expect.

There is also no need to spend $100 for Winner's Choice. The markup is horrendous. Any shop is going to recommend those which make them the most profit.

There are many good choices to be had for between $50 and $75 (approximate). MeanV here on this site handles Vapor Trail. John Mraz makes Bucknasty strings. Both very good quality.

On another site, Archery Talk to be specific, there are many string makers listed in the classifieds. H&M is one that I've recommended to several people and they have been pleased with that product. On the Martin Tech Forum there is Hutch-n-Son Archery that makes a good string set for about $55 or so.

You could order from any of these and just have your shop install them. Off hand I'd say that $30 to install, set up, and retune the bow is a reasonable charge.

Krypt Keeper 10-11-2011 05:20 AM

Yep, should be able to get a set of custom strings from Vapor Trail, BuckNasty, 60X for $65 to $75.

I got mine replaced and getting new d-loop, peep tied in, served for string stopper, and kisser tied on all for $10.

I then go sling arrows for a bit (25 arrows or so) and get some final tweeks done to make sure my peep is alinged and won't turn.

Bible_Man 10-12-2011 07:26 AM

Vapor Trail are good strings. As to the bad reputation of Zebra strings, I have had nothing but great success with them. Others may very well have had problems with them, but I like mine.

olfatguy 10-13-2011 03:09 PM

You said you went to your local Mathews retailer, last year, to have him check the bow. Why not go back to him this year? After all, he didn't try to rip you off and sell you cables and string you didn't need them. Mention this to him and you might be well on the way to building a good relationship (and getting some good deals).

Just don't be like the many morons out there who have someone spend the time to check their stuff over then order from somewhere else just to save a couple of bucks, especially if you don't have a press and will need them installed.

I remember spending hours messing with customers bows only to have them go down the road to save $5.00 (yes that's $5.00, not $50.00). Then they brought the stuff in for me to install, and what would have been done for free if they had purchased from our shop cost them dearly.

nodog 10-13-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by tealboy (Post 3858946)
My mathews Q2 bow is 7-8 years old and has the original strings/cables. I had the local mathews retailer inspect it last year and he said they were fine, don't replace (i only shoot just before and during the season, not year round). However, I've been told by several friends and the local bass pro shop that this is bad advice, the strings are way past their useful life even though they look good. Where should I purchase and what brand do you recommend. I was told the strings may cost appx $110 and another $15 to install plus another $15 to retune the bow.

I guess strings are another thing to consider as I think about buying a used mathews switchback. The strings could easily be 4-5 years old so whatever the purchase price is, I'll need to think about spending another $140 for strings, right?

Nothing wrong with your math. If that's what you've been told then 110+15+15= 140.

Just curious, do you hit what your aiming at? If you do it doesn't sound like the strings are way past their usefulness.

You also should keep this in mind, I don't think any new bow comes with good strings so you'll have to add that 140 to the price of a new bow.