Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer... >

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not suggesting this is the case in this particular situation, but I wonder how many times we blame our equipment for our own operator errors?

Case in point: last week I missed a shot on a doe. Well, I found only hair, a little blood, and the top of the bolt by the fletching.

My mind starts thinking all kinds of things: the carbon bolt was defective and exploded; the NAP mechanical didn't "open up," etc. etc. etc.

I take my bow to the range. Make sure it's sighted in.

A few days ago--same setup same equipment--I drop a doe in its tracks.

Hmm.

I think sometimes we're quick to blame our equipment when the fault lies with us. It's a very human thing to do

Again, not suggesting that is the case here, but this seems like a good spot to share

So within a week I had two shots using my NAP Spitfires where one left very little sign and the other bled her out on the spot. Had I stopped after the first shot and came here and started bitching about NAP, I wouldn't have gotten confirmation that it was indeed me and not the equipment.

As for Rage, I know people who have shot at least ten deer with them and swear by them. Talking massive bleeding and the deer going only a few yards.

So you tell me who I should believe.

Last edited by Michlw39; 10-15-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Wow, where to start. First of all if a Rage head failed to open it would pass through a deer more easily as it would remain a much smaller, slimmer diameter. I'd love to hear the explanation on the physics behind how an unopened Rage would reduce penetration. Sorry but that doesn't even begin to make sense right off the bat.

Second, if I had a dollar for every "perfect hit" claim on a difficult to find deer that when eventually found turned out to be "Uh Oh", not so well hit. I could take everyone in this thread out for lobster and have money left over to leave a nice tip. Sounds to me like you hit the shoulder bone. A direct hit on the shoulder bone (despite what many think) will typically stop even fixed blade heads. Standard Rage heads have a huge 2 inch cutting diameter that probably would not make it through that bone unless fired from a very powerful set up.

Penetration issues are affected by where you hit the animal, how well tuned your bow is, and the amount of kinetic energy your bow is generating. Without knowing these things I can't really go any further.
Bingo.

I've dropped three deer with NAP Spitfires. Totally botched a 4th shot. On the botched shot, the SETUP was perfect but obviously I didn't make a perfect shot! I pulled it or something.

OPERATOR ERROR. It happens. It's humbling. But it's better to be honest with yourself than blame your equipment.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Michlw39

So you tell me who I should believe.
If you've been around you've no doubt bought what others have said was "the best" only to find out that was just a ****tail with something in it.

Who should you believe? Yourself is about the best answer.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Spike

My son, and myself shoot Rage's.
Full freezer's don't lie, just the "cold" truth.
Scott
Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by legacyhunter
Not putting you down or anything, but like Todd1700 said unless you have the deer on the ground you would be surprised at how "perfect the shot" was regardless of broadhead. Have helped friends who said the shot was perfect and behind the shoulder and after long and tedious track jobs discovered not so perfect shots. Broadhead choice is an individual thing. Have seen many more lost deer from friends using fixed blades than I have heard of from rages. I have shot 4 deer so far with them and all were complete passthroughs. No deer went farther that 30 yards. But once again if you have no confidence in them use something different. Good luck on your next one.

I agree i shot a doe the other day and would have bet two pay checks that i hit her good. but when i got to her lil did i know that she was quartering to me pretty good and i hit her in pump station but it quartered back thru her stomach. ( with a rage 3 blade i might add) and she ran 50 yards at most. and fell over. When you are in the moment looking down the pin you may think they are perfectly angled but they may not be. and also if they got that front leg back and opposite leg in the forward position its posible you hit bone. good luck for rest of season.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah there is no way of knowing what REALLY happened unless you actually find the deer. i know I've thought I've made good shots that turned out to be not so great shots after finding the deer. I've heard of mechanicals not opening, but never of them getting no penetration on a perfect shot.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Spike

Just shot a large doe with a rage 2 blade on 10/25/11. Was a complete passthru on a 30 yard shot. Broke a rib on the way in and between ribs on the way out. That doe ran 40 yards and fell over stone dead. Caught the liver and right lung. This is the 5th deer I have shot with rage 2 blades. Maybe I am just lucky but everyone has either fallen in sight on just out of sight.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a buck last night with a Rage 2-blade. Complete pass-through, massive hole. No problems with Rage.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 11-01-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Spike

fixed blades are the way to go. on a 60lb bow which, judging by your pic is in the 28" draw length? it really isnt all that much kinetic energy to warrant shooting mechanicals. Not saying it didn't malfunction, it definitely should have, but you'll get more efficient shots with fixed blades in my opinion. (I have a smaller frame, not shooting a huge weight or long draw and thus, shoot fixed.) just my .02