Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer... >

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

i cant really believe your story because when i was 12, i shot a deer with rage. before i new anything about penetration i just picked up rages. i shot 40 lbs only, a quartering to me shot and guess what, i got one lung and went into the guts, fully deployed with about 10 inches of penetrations. i still shoot rages but with a 70 lb bow and i have no doubt they will do the job. i even tested all mine and all opened up just shooting at a 2 liter with water.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by glockman55
How do you know you even hit one lung?? sounds like maybe you got the shoulder plate..did you find your arrow? I shoot a similar set up.. 28.5" draw, 65 lb. my Rage 2 blades have never failed me..
Sorry if I sound a little less sympathetic but it's the shooter more than the equipment.
I guess I cant say for sure I got one lung but I beleive I did. Me and my sister both could see where I hit her and it wasn't the shoulder. Im not sure on the deers structure as far as bones.. but if the "shoulder plate" covers up a bit of the lung then it could be possibly I hit or nicked the shoulder plate.

And for those of you who are rage lovers and are trying to defend rages and are getting a little hostile and arguing with me.. Dont be like that please. Im positive on where I shot her and im not trying to get into a fight over rages or shot placement. If rages work for you then great, im glad you like them. But whether or not it was bad shot placement or not good enough kinetic energy, I still didn't like the outcome with the rage. Before I bought them people were bragging them up and people were turning them down so I wanted to give them a try.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
I guess I cant say for sure I got one lung but I beleive I did. Me and my sister both could see where I hit her and it wasn't the shoulder. Im not sure on the deers structure as far as bones.. but if the "shoulder plate" covers up a bit of the lung then it could be possibly I hit or nicked the shoulder plate.

And for those of you who are rage lovers and are trying to defend rages and are getting a little hostile and arguing with me.. Dont be like that please. Im positive on where I shot her and im not trying to get into a fight over rages or shot placement. If rages work for you then great, im glad you like them. But whether or not it was bad shot placement or not good enough kinetic energy, I still didn't like the outcome with the rage. Before I bought them people were bragging them up and people were turning them down so I wanted to give them a try.

I hear ya...I know about shoulder hits because I've been there more than I like to admit..either way, you have to use what's comfortable for you.. Good Luck with the rest of your season..

Last edited by glockman55; 10-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

ill tell u why people are defending the rages like they r.... because they cant accept the fact that they fell for the incredible advertising and spent the money on some really shi**y broadheads also not everyone but i guarantee most of the people defending the rages have only shot one maybe two animals with them
i wont lie i fell in the "rage trap" i even shot 5 deer with them too im not even gunna get into those stories i will just say they r not a top of the line broadhead and im sorry if u disagree with me but thats my opinion
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

So is it safe to say you don't use Rage anymore??
Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sutton
ill tell u why people are defending the rages like they r.... because they cant accept the fact that they fell for the incredible advertising and spent the money on some really shi**y broadheads also not everyone but i guarantee most of the people defending the rages have only shot one maybe two animals with them
i wont lie i fell in the "rage trap" i even shot 5 deer with them too im not even gunna get into those stories i will just say they r not a top of the line broadhead and im sorry if u disagree with me but thats my opinion
i think most of us are talking from experience. i know i havent shot 10 deer with them, but i have shot 2 and i havent had problems. with a lot of mechanicals you are going to have people how love them and hate them. its just how it is. i myself was going to shoot thunderheads this year, but i didnt. i can say anyone who bought them, please test them before you go hunting. if i didnt i would have missed a deer this year because of premature deployment, yep i said it. it was because the little bolt in the middle was loose. i fixed it and shot them all and they seem to work fine. i can say though the orings brand new out of the box are WAY to stiff. keep popping the blades opening with your hands until they open easily, but not to easily they open in flight. anyone who shoots any mechanical should test them before carrying them in the field. if you they work for you, they are devastating on deer.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot muzzys for over 20 years with no problems. They always fly good out of my bow and I have had several bows over the years to. I always get good penetration and blood trails. I have wanted to try some different broadheads but just never seem to break down and try any. Watching the hunting shows and seeing blood pour out like pi** out of a boot makes it tempting to try rage broaheads. What I have read and heard from hunters there seems to be a wide range of success with the rage. I will just probably stick with my muzzys for now, they seems to be a good bet.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't plan on making a big fight over the pros and cons on rages. I do plan on going back to my muzzys though. Atleast I gave the rages a try. It never hurts to try new things.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i think most of us are talking from experience. i know i havent shot 10 deer with them, but i have shot 2 and i havent had problems. with a lot of mechanicals you are going to have people how love them and hate them. its just how it is. i myself was going to shoot thunderheads this year, but i didnt. i can say anyone who bought them, please test them before you go hunting. if i didnt i would have missed a deer this year because of premature deployment, yep i said it. it was because the little bolt in the middle was loose. i fixed it and shot them all and they seem to work fine. i can say though the orings brand new out of the box are WAY to stiff. keep popping the blades opening with your hands until they open easily, but not to easily they open in flight. anyone who shoots any mechanical should test them before carrying them in the field. if you they work for you, they are devastating on deer.

Sorry but a broadhead shold work out of the box, period.
If the end user has to ensure it's going to function correctly then that is a poor design.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I was thinking about using the rage, but I think I will stick to the fixed blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.