Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My very first deer with a bow! >

My very first deer with a bow!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My very first deer with a bow!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default My very first deer with a bow!

Hey guys, well I finally did it! After so many months of practicing and running into soooo many problems, I finally killed my first deer with a bow. He's not that big but i'm still happy that I manned up and broke the ice. I've passed up so many deer with so many excuses like, I didn't get a good shot, and i was tired of always saying that so I took this guy. He's just a nubbin's and here's the story. I was in the stand at 5:00 pm Yesterday. Amazing day! Got up to 80 degrees I think. Well I wait and wait(mostly for the sun to go down cuz i was roasting hahah)At 6 pm I see these two deer come in from my bottom left corner. I don't know about you guys but when you're in a tree those deer look a LOT bigger than they actually are. They both turned out to be fawns, couple more months I think they woulda been as big as their mom. Anyways, one of them bedded down and I was happy about that because it showed they were at peace. Unfortunately, our neighbors decided on that day to practice their gun hunting rifles! haha, i was a little annoyed. Then there were people walking on the road(which is about 100 yards from my stand maybe less)Well they got spooked by the people talking and so the one who bedded down got up slowly, then just took off in a fast trot. The other one followed him. Well I figure that's ok I still got some time left of daylight. At 6:30 Pm the mom comes up through the way the fawns came and i'm like YES! I'm gonna take this gal(right now we have aboslutely no venison in the freezer which is why I wanted to take the doe. Normally I would have waited for a really nice buck to come in and take that.)Well the doe comes in behind my tree and the two fawns come back and follow her. Well there's a 3rd fawn who comes up in front of the stand. We walks in and follows my trail to the bait. Well i figure, I won't shoot him but i'll at least practice draw on him. Unfortunately, I didn't think that the doe would be looking at me right when I was pulling! She got so spooked, bolted and started snorting up a storm. I figure, well it's all over, she'll scare all the deer in the area. I'm already drawn and the nubbins, as it turned out to be, was in a perfect broadside angle. I say, you know what screw it, i'm tired of not killing anything and even if a buck did come in it's be 10 times harder for me to shoot it. I take the shot, PERFECT! My arrow does a double lung penetration and the nubbins takes off. By now i'm really excited and I can't wait more than 15 minutes before i check to see if the arrow made a passthrough(I wasn't able to see at the time when i was in the tree) I was so excited when I saw blood all over the arrow! Well I follow the blood trail for 30 minutes just going in zig-zags lol. I end up losing the blood trail and then I decide to go back to my stand and see where I last saw it. I go right to the spot that I had last seen it and there he lay! I know he's not much to look at guys but i'm pretty happy that I finally was able to take the shot and kill something. Here's the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails My very first deer with a bow!-img_3091.jpg   My very first deer with a bow!-img_3085.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Spike

good deal congrats on the first deer.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome!!!! congrats!!!!! looks like my first bow deer!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

An ice-breaker!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Its always better to get a doe or young one for your first one, guys who go after the big bucks right off the bat usually wind up in some sort of disaster anyway, but people who get their feet wet like you did know what the motions are like now and generally know what to expect and do when the big one comes along. congrats
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats ,you never forget your first
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Its always better to get a doe or young one for your first one, guys who go after the big bucks right off the bat usually wind up in some sort of disaster anyway, but people who get their feet wet like you did know what the motions are like now and generally know what to expect and do when the big one comes along. congrats
That's what I was thinking sd. Thanks for the compliments guys. Makes me even happier i shot it now.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the first one!!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome bud congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.