Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
hardcore hunting vs. family life >

hardcore hunting vs. family life

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hardcore hunting vs. family life

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Each family is different. The key is to communicate and sit down with your spouse ahead of time and figure out the give and take. What works for Family A might not work for Family B.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Spike

Well, I can relate. I just had my third child yesterday. My first girl. So I have been discussing this with my wife throughout the pregnancy. The facts are that every family, child, and pregnancy is different. While I know my season will be considerably less intense than the past I also know I will get my chance and can enjoy what ever it is I'm doing whether I get to spend time with my little ones or out in the stand. I guess you just need to be happy whatever happens cause it only happens once. There is much more to be said.. just not enough brain power at this time I need sleep
Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Spike

Missing one month of hunting isn't even a question in my mind. Being in the military, especially during the last 10 years you miss a lot. My kids are 13, 9 and 6. The oldest two being girls and the little one a boy, finally. I wouldn't think twice about missing a November to be there for the birth of a child. I'm pretty lucky myself because my wife and kids enjoy hunting and fishing also and it's a great way to spend time as a family doing what you love. I've been fortunate enough to take my wife and kids moose, caribou and bear hunting and fishing for red, pink and king salmon. My oldest caught a 50lb king last summer. The whole family was with me when I harvested my first moose and those are times that will never be forgotten. Even though I have been gone for 12 months at a time sporadically for the last 10 years (gone 4 years, home 6) my wife still supports my addiction but I try to keep my hunting trips to 4-5 days. I'm in Afghanistan right now but already planning an Elk hunt with my oldest when I get back. Get the family involved and you can both do what you love and enjoy it with the ones you love.

Last edited by AKHunterNP; 10-16-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Family has to has to come first. I would rather be a good husband and father than divorced and have all the time I want to hunt.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will never regret spending time with your family,only not doing it. The time you get in the woods will be even more precious than when there was an abundance of it. Delight yourself in them while they are little and just maybe they will want to go out with you when grown up.