Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
chewing while hunting >

chewing while hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chewing while hunting

Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default chewing while hunting

How many of you chew in the stand? Would the deer smell that like they would a smoker?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been doing it for years. Has it cost me deer? Probably, but I wouldn't be out there if i couldn't. I still manage to fill the freezer regardless...
Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they can smell the chew, if they can smell the smoke, if they can smell the Taco Johns that you had the night before, then they smell YOU. The wind doesn't seperate odors to different areas. Keep the wind going the direction that you don't expect the deer to be and you'll be fine.

True story: Last week the wind was coming out of the east. Blowing straight west. When it was time to get down I decided to have a smoke 1st. As I'm putting it out in a spitpile in the tree, 2 does come from the northeast of me not more than 5 yards away. They didn't give me a shot, but then again they never knew I was there.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure they can. I'm out there to kill a deer and only at it a few hours at a time, I can do whatever to get'r done.

Chewing ain't good for you anyways.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do as well, only when I hunt for some reason though. I usually carry a empty waterbottle and spit in that and throw it away when I'm done. I'm sure they can smell it but if they are downwind they can smell you too. Its probably not good to chew in the stand, but there are so many scents a deer can pick up that I think chew won't be the one that gets me busted.

Last year I forgot a water bottle to spit in and was just spitting on the ground under my stand. I was hitting my bottom screw in step when I spit and I watched a 7 pt (non-shooter) come in and lick that tree step for a good minute. It was a sight to see having him directly underneath me. One of the cooler things I've seen while hunting.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM
j76
Typical Buck

I agree with Mottz, ive butted out a smoke cause i had deer comin in right on top of me, and ive sat with no smokes, scent lock and spray on and had em bust me from 100 yards away. If they get downwind of ya, dont matter what ya smell like, they can bust ya, if they are upwind, stink it up and you'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
I do as well, only when I hunt for some reason though. I usually carry a empty waterbottle and spit in that and throw it away when I'm done. I'm sure they can smell it but if they are downwind they can smell you too. Its probably not good to chew in the stand, but there are so many scents a deer can pick up that I think chew won't be the one that gets me busted.

Last year I forgot a water bottle to spit in and was just spitting on the ground under my stand. I was hitting my bottom screw in step when I spit and I watched a 7 pt (non-shooter) come in and lick that tree step for a good minute. It was a sight to see having him directly underneath me. One of the cooler things I've seen while hunting.
haha yeah that would be cool. Last year I pissed off the stand and had a small basket rack buck come and smell it.

I guess spit doesn't bother the deer too much.. I was spittin off the stand and had deer in front of me. Didn't think nothin of it.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

when i use to chew i did it while sitting and never had a deer blow or spook.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think it is smart to smoke or chew in the stand, but if I had to choose one to do, it would be to dip. Smoking gives off a lot more scent then what chew does. You don't even have to spit on the ground, do as someone said previously, and spit in a bottle. Now, to the more important matter. Smokeless tobacco is really dangerous to your health, and you are too young to start chewing (from the looks of you in your display picture). I chewed quite a bit when playing baseball in high school and college but quit soon after. I think I look better with a jaw, rather than without one.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sport4
I don't think it is smart to smoke or chew in the stand, but if I had to choose one to do, it would be to dip. Smoking gives off a lot more scent then what chew does. You don't even have to spit on the ground, do as someone said previously, and spit in a bottle. Now, to the more important matter. Smokeless tobacco is really dangerous to your health, and you are too young to start chewing (from the looks of you in your display picture). I chewed quite a bit when playing baseball in high school and college but quit soon after. I think I look better with a jaw, rather than without one.
Im old enough to chew now. Im 19, I shot that deer two years ago. And I do agree it is bad for your health and I probably shouldn't do it. But there are alot of other bad things that we do too.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.