Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looky what I found! >

Looky what I found!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looky what I found!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default Looky what I found!

He has been showing up any where from 12 midnight till 6:15 am. I am trying to figure out how to hunt this old bruiser. I was hoping for some advise. Near this spot I have a ground blind about thirty yards from this picture. It is a pinch point with a small pond in some CRP next to some really thick bedding area. the area I can hunt is a long narrow strip that is about 4 acres so I don't think I can get any closer to his bed room if I wanted to. Anyway I have left this alone on opening day simply because I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Looky what I found!-mdgc0183.jpg   Looky what I found!-big-buck.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

looks like a old bruiser to me.
heavy horn, grey face, big gut, hunched back...and fat.
probably like 5-6 years old.

real nice buck.

if I am reading your map right and he is on the north end of the pond, don't hunt it on a south wind ! notice he is licking his lips ?

trying to figure out the camera by taste.

The rut....he;ll be all around the pond, but before that look for any sign around...scrapes and rubs, but don;t scent up the area walking all around. use binoculars first. If no real sign , try a mock scrape between the pond andbedding area on east / south corner for say.

If there are small pines / cedars scrape with hand saw or knive to get some scent going.......helps to cover yours too.

but try some code blue on a drip preferably, but if no money(?) pick up fresh droppings of any kind(bigger the better) and just throw them in the area, or in scrape.

but if possible, and nobody else is hunting there don't run all over the place.

HE'll make a mistake pre rut , and come too close.

the other thing is the time you enter and exit blind.

If he busts you....you'll never see him again.

Get in to blind early ! HR BEFORE LIGHT OR 3 HRS OR MORE BEFORE DARK.

Again........don't traunce all over the place now.. you know he is there..leave him be. THEN SHOOT WHEN OPPORTUNITY ARISES !
if you care to update me I'd be curious how you do !

[email protected]

Opening bow day today for me...heading to stand in about 15 minutes ~!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Spike

I appreciate your advise. So far I put some jackies deer lure mock scrape which is what he has been coming to already. It seems like that spot has already become a community scrape as it seems every deer that comes through there hits that stuff at least to check it out. I was planning on waiting till pre rut knowing that if I don't get in there at the right time and bust him out it may be all for not. I have also hung a stand on the north eastern most corner of the property so I can get in on safely on a south wind. I will keep all posted
Old 10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Honestly, the best thing to do, is stay out of there until you have daylight pictures. As soon as you have pictures where he is in the daylight; you hunt it right away. Once they come out in the daylight once and feel no pressure early season, they are more likely to do it again a few times. You hunt him right away before the rut, because you just don't know where he will end up once the does come into estrus. Just need to hope and pray he comes by!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

dang i was kinna hope in it was my desert eagle 50 cal , and my Matthews z7 i lost, oh well i will wait so u can tell me were to pic them up , thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

In my experience the big guys dont show their face in the daylight until the pre rut when they cant resist it. If i was you i would try to find the nearest pocket of does to the location of the buck, that is where he will be during the rut, remember that the does do not change their pattern near as much as the bucks do during the rut so just try to keep an eye on the does. I hope you get a crack at him, good luck!