Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How close is too close? >

How close is too close?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How close is too close?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default How close is too close?

I've read a good spot to intercept deer can be on the inside edge of woods bordering standing corn as they'll feel safe there with cover on both sides and will feed along the outside edge of the corn. I've found such a spot with good buck sign and put my trail cam up. I've also found a spot about 10 yards into the woods where there's a big rockpile and no trails coming out where i could put my haybale blind where I think it would look pretty natural. But it will only be about 10 yards from the blind to the corn so we're talking close shots. I set up in this spot last year when it was beans and had some deer up close and personal. All does early seaon before I moved to another spot. I figure the key is getting the blind out there, letting them get use to it for a week or two and hunting the wind. Plus, I'm thinking it might be only a matter of weeks anyway before the corn is out and then I'm just on the picked field edge near trails coming out of the woods. So I could try up close and personal for a few tries and then have plenty of room to move afterward. Any thoughts? Experiences? Also, I considered a treestand but we're talking knarled, mangled trees and brush and scrub here. Not much to work with for a treestand in the right spot.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

10 yards is close, but definitely doable. i was in a ground blind last year, massive buck at 25 yards couldn't get the shot, this is just a blind with camo cloth and stakes, no over the top. it was about 3 feet tall and i was kneeling on the ground. if it wasnt for the doe busting me at 5 yards i would have been able to get a shot at the buck, that was easily a 150 class deer. Later in the year i was 3 feet off the ground in a apple tree, and i shot my buck from 7 yards. i say do it! its awesome getting that close to deer!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Practice the shots you think you'll have to make. Or, wait until you miss and come home and practice it to find out why.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

With the corn coming down soon, I personally would want to be tucked up in the woods edge. I'd say that twisted, gnarled brush would be perfect to set up in. A natural blind is usually always best. Maybe you could cut a shooting lane or two. In my opinion, a haybale blind next to a corn-patch doesn't quite sound right. Sure they might get a little used to it in a couple of weeks, but maybe not enough to come right up to it. Setting up right in their trail is taking a chance of them getting spooked. Also, don't forget that with the rut coming on, the bucks will be cruising around in search of does. So that means, if you keep the does comfortable they will lure in the bucks for you. The does will come there to feed and the bucks will come there for romance! Bucks run hard during the rut so don't expect them to come feeding down the edge, cuz that's the last thing on their minds! That edge sounds right for a mock scrape w/ a licking branch above it. If you can, try to get back in the edge 15/20 yards and find a couple of spots to shoot out. You will be able to see out and draw your bow before he steps into your shooting lane. Just try your best and good luck! Can you describe the area a little more?