Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Okay I have to point this out but the o-ring on the rages doesnt have to roll back on the arrow to show that the thing opened the whole point of the o-rings is just to hold the blades in place until impact. On impact the o-ring acts like a shock absorber staying in place absorbing shock when it hits bone.(This is on their website by the way) So to all of the people trying to use the o-ring not rolled back on the arrow this is an invalid excuse. And to top it off the o-rin on one of our rages last year was still in position after going thru a doe. Just letting everyone in on this little secret.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

In all honesty, I'm not sure what benefits a fixed blade gives you.
It forces you to make sure your bow/arrow marriage is in tune.

Let's keep it real, here.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
It forces you to make sure your bow/arrow marriage is in tune.

Let's keep it real, here.
Do you actually think that all the guys that shoot fixed have their bows tuned to their fixed heads?? Far, far from it.

That's keeping it real.

Again, what benefits do I gain shooting a 1 - 1 1/4" fixed when I can shoot a 2" mechanical.

Please don't tell me they're always open because I have 100% confidence the Rage 2-blade will ALWAYS open.

Penetration?? 11 for 11 passthroughs with the 2-blade Rage including 5 mature bucks (260-330lbs live weight).

I'm not telling guys not to shoot fixed because if they like them and have confidence in them, great but I love the benefits a Rage 2-blade gives me.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by annika3
1. Larger cutting diameter which gives you a larger area of damage (I'm not talking cutting surface) which leads to better blood trails and easier and quicker recoveries.

2. Better flight on windy days

3. Better flight on a poor release

4. Better flight if you torque your bow

In all honesty, I'm not sure what benefits a fixed blade gives you.
Why cant we talk about cutting surface? Not important, or just doesnt fit for your analogy? lol

Better flight.......really, I dont think so. A proper setup will react the same with either head.

I have never had my fixed blades flop open in the quiver. I dont have to worry about rubber bands. They wont kick the arrow sideways on hard quartering shots. I never have to look at them in the heat of the moment to double check them. They will penetrate better when they encounter heavy bone. And, I can use my fixed blades in any state and with any outfitter on any game. Believe me, I have shot deer with a bow and arrow for over 30 years now and have used fixed and large mechanicals. I have seen first hand the results of both and have no use for a mechanical unless I am hunting turkeys. The only game in my opinion that justifies their use. The last several mature bucks I shot with a muzzy never made it more than 70 yards. All fell within sight. Thats dead enough for me.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you actually think that all the guys that shoot fixed have their bows tuned to their fixed heads??
Of course not (re: ALL). But, I think most bowhunters at least shoot a BH-tipped arrow or two before they hit the woods. I'm betting they either fix (or, have someone fix) serious tuning issues with fixed heads (enough to achieve acceptable - to them - flight) before hitting the woods.

That same hunter.....shooting mechanicals.....would NEVER KNOW he was out of tune.

Yes. They'll fly "just like a FP".

That's an absolutely UNETHICAL marketing campaign (IMO). They're (mechanical head mfr's who employ this mktg) playing to the lazy masses.

I believe a VERY small percentage of the "I've tried the Rage heads and they failed with me" claims. I believe a large percentage of the "I tried the Rage heads and lost a deer" claims.

Would the outcome (losing a deer) have been any different if that same bowhunter had been using a fixed head? That would depend on whether he did anything about being out of tune or not. At least with the fixed head, he'd have known he wasn't tuned.....and would be less likely to blame it on his broadhead.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
...I believe a large percentage of the "I tried the Rage heads and lost a deer" claims.

Would the outcome (losing a deer) have been any different if that same bowhunter had been using a fixed head? That would depend on whether he did anything about being out of tune or not. At least with the fixed head, he'd have known he wasn't tuned.....and would be less likely to blame it on his broadhead.
So what related to the (Rear-Deploying mechanicals) is causing people to lose deer?

It sounds like you are basing the whole premise on a bow being tuned or not...that "should" be the case with eitheer BH...argument doesn't apply.

I can see a mis-placed shot...but you would lose a deer due to this with any BH.
I do see the point about having them open in the quiver. This has happened to me...I noticed the new blades have a radius cut out where it "snaps' into the O-ring...have people still been having troubles since this revision?
I do also see the point about bone-crushing...but the argument for both sides here is the same (a mis-placed shot). If the shot is right, I shouldn't "need" a bone-crushing BH/Large bleeder hole.

I just lovethe hole it rips through when the shot "is" right. Lung blood Everywhere!
I will shoot a fixed if there is a little golden rod close to the deer with confidence it will hit the spot....I wouldn't with a mechanical.

I guess I'm saying I'm not convinced one is better over the other...just different points I like about both.

As far as those guides that won't allow Rages...are they pro-staffers for another brand? (call me skeptical)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Better flight.......really, I dont think so. A proper setup will react the same with either head.
Uh, no. I have used both fixed and mech heads from time to time. Fixed heads can of course be tuned to group with your field tips. But fixed heads are not what I would call field point accurate. Even from a perfectly tuned bow if you torque the bow a bit or shoot with less than perfect form it will affect accuracy much more using a fixed head. At 15 yards it's not going to be a issue. At 35 to 45 yards? Yep, it can be. Shooting with perfect form standing on the ground in your front yard flinging sticks at a target is easy. Shooting with perfect form 30 feet up a tree, wearing thick clothing, in 20 degree weather, as you kneel to shoot under a limb at a big buck that has your adrenaline pumping, is another story.

I will concede that fixed heads penetrate a little better but if my bow is generating enough power that I am getting pass throughs with a large diameter mech head then what advantage do I gain by going back to a smaller diameter fixed head? Is driving my arrow 2 inches deeper in the dirt on the other side of a deer really going to help me in any way you can describe? Cause I'd love to hear the explanation of how.

Last edited by Todd1700; 10-21-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
He's spot on here, Todd. Shot out of a well tuned bow a fixed blade head will shoot just as good as the lowest profile mech, even out to your maximum range.

I have no problems with shooting mechs. I shot Grim Reapers for years. I switched to Slick Tricks simply because the Reapers were a bit on the dull side.

As for Rage heads, I have quite a few friends that shoot them and do well with them. I almost tried them, but I've just never cared for that huge, fat ferrule and the 2 1/2", ultra-steep cutting angle. There's no question in my mind that I could use them and get a pass-through (70#, 29.5" DL, total arrow weight 530 grains with 14% FOC), but there's just too much potential for something to go wrong. That's just me, though. To each his own. Good luck with whatever you decide to put on the business end of your arrow. They'll all kill deer if you do your part and put it where it needs to go.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair questions....

So what related to the (Rear-Deploying mechanicals) is causing people to lose deer?

Poor penetration.

It sounds like you are basing the whole premise on a bow being tuned or not...that "should" be the case with eitheer BH...argument doesn't apply.

I'm basing what I'm saying on +/-2yrs. using the head from a bow/arrow that gave every indication it was "in tune". I mean....my FP's and BH's (Rage) had the same POI. How would I (and, I consider myself the avg. bowhunter) know any differently? It wasn't until I started employing fixed heads that I was FORCED to learn the importance of bow/arrow marriage.

I can see a mis-placed shot...but you would lose a deer due to this with any BH.

Agreed. But, don't you see an exhorbitant amount of folks claiming Rage/Mech. BH "failure" that purport perfectly placed shots? How much of this do you buy? I'm not buying much of either (BH failure OR perfectly placed shots resulting in lost deer).
Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fletch920
Why cant we talk about cutting surface? Not important, or just doesnt fit for your analogy? lol

I have never had my fixed blades flop open in the quiver. I dont have to worry about rubber bands. They wont kick the arrow sideways on hard quartering shots. I never have to look at them in the heat of the moment to double check them. They will penetrate better when they encounter heavy bone. And, I can use my fixed blades in any state and with any outfitter on any game. Believe me, I have shot deer with a bow and arrow for over 30 years now and have used fixed and large mechanicals. I have seen first hand the results of both and have no use for a mechanical unless I am hunting turkeys. The only game in my opinion that justifies their use. The last several mature bucks I shot with a muzzy never made it more than 70 yards. All fell within sight. Thats dead enough for me.

We can talk cutting surface. Lets use a 1/2", 16 blade head which would give us 4" of cutting surface. You actually think that, that head would be better than a 2" 2-blade head? I understand cutting suface, which is the damage caused within the cutting diameter and I'll take 2" diameter with a 2" cutting surface over a 1" 4-blade with the same 2" of cutting surface.
or even a 1 1/8" 4-blade.

With flight you are WAY off. You actually think a fixed head with pretruding blades that catches wind is going to fly better or even as good as a mechanical in windy conditions? or a poor release? or with your bow torqued? You just lost credibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.