Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That broadhead was a complete passthrough, double lung.
If so then that deer died. Rage heads have a 2 inch cutting diameter. The head in those photos has one blade fully open and another at least 1/4 inch open. I'd say it's at least 1 and a 1/4 inches wide as pictured. If the deer in your area are takingn that kind of damage to both lungs and refusing to die then for Gods sake don't go back to muzzy's. They only have a 1 and 1/8 inch diameter.

Nothing personal but if you didn't find the deer then how do you know it passed through both lungs?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them ever since they became avaliable to the public and have never had a problem with them. They really make some devastating holes.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Dominant Buck

That broadhead was a complete passthrough, double lung.
Like I said the blood trail was gone after 50 yards.
Gone? Or, you lost it (along with the deer)?

These threads....after all these years.....are still entertaining. They bring about more heresay; conjecture and outright lies than any other.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
If so then that deer died. Rage heads have a 2 inch cutting diameter. The head in those photos has one blade fully open and another at least 1/4 inch open. I'd say it's at least 1 and a 1/4 inches wide as pictured. If the deer in your area are takingn that kind of damage to both lungs and refusing to die then for Gods sake don't go back to muzzy's. They only have a 1 and 1/8 inch diameter.

Nothing personal but if you didn't find the deer then how do you know it passed through both lungs?
Originally Posted by GMMAT
Gone? Or, you lost it (along with the deer)?

These threads....after all these years.....are still entertaining. They bring about more heresay; conjecture and outright lies than any other.
Gone, not a single drop was found after 50 yards.
The deer ran into a crp field, and was never found.

You know how far a deer can run in 10 seconds at full speed?
I know it was a double lung because she was only 12 yards out and I saw the arrow enter, and the pink foamy blood trail.

Once again you people on your high horse calling people liars.

Get over yourself and face the fact that on occasion a broadhead will fail.

A muzzy might only have a 1 1/8 cutting diameter but the actual cutting surface is plenty enough to bring down a deer.
Not only that they punch a hole you could practically put a small fist through.
And remember that the cut volume of Muzzy vs 2 blade Rage is nearly identical.

Compare that to a partially opened sliver that a half deployed Rage leaves and I see the true winner.

Heresay, sorry friend the proof is in the pictures.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I will.....if you'll step down and face the fact that on occasion you'll lose a blood trail.....and not see what you thought you saw.

After over 30 whitetails taken with my bow (and especially when I shot a fast compound), I've been fooled on POI several times.

I really wish you wouldn't take my comments personally. My comments were directed at those who have NO EXPERIENCE with the head; Poor experience (user error - by innocently not knowing better) and those who'll jump on a bandwagon.

Again, I wish you luck with whichever tackle you choose.

BTW....what exactly are those photos supposed to tell us? I've probably got some lying around in my bldg. that look just like that. They've all killed deer.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onion721
Gone, not a single drop was found after 50 yards.
The deer ran into a crp field, and was never found.

You know how far a deer can run in 10 seconds at full speed?
I know it was a double lung because she was only 12 yards out and I saw the arrow enter, and the pink foamy blood trail.

Once again you people on your high horse calling people liars.

A muzzy might only have a 1 1/8 cutting diameter but the actual cutting surface is plenty enough to bring down a deer.
Not only that they punch a hole you could practically put a small fist through.
And remember that the cut volume of Muzzy vs 2 blade Rage is nearly identical.

Compare that to a partially opened sliver that a half deployed Rage leaves and I see the true winner.

Heresay, sorry friend the proof is in the pictures.

Not calling you a liar but a double lung deer is dead and going down quick. Even with the BH you are showing gives you a 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" cut.

Also, about the Muzzy comment about small fist size hole. That must be a small fist because Muzzy has never been known for large holes.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Now all of a sudden people want to go off on a tangent.

Why are we not discussing the failure of the blade to deploy?

Clearly in the pictures you can see that the o-ring never rolled out to release the blades.
And on the deployed blade you can see where the o-ring broke allowing the blade to deploy.

The whole point of this thread is to show that the blades can sometimes fail to deploy(rarely) but it can happen.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you need to get a clue. A field tip through both of a deers lungs = dead as Julius Caesar. If you put that broadhead in those photos through both of a deers lungs then it died. If it didn't die then you did not hit both lungs. It's just that simple. Two collapsed lungs equal DEATH, quickly and typically within 120 yards. Doesn't make a tinkers d#*& whether the holes in the lungs are 1/2 inch wide or 3 inches wide. Doesn't matter if they are round holes, two blade slits or 4 blade X's. DEAD!

I have shot deer through the lungs with many different broadheads. Some had great blood trails. Some not so good. I shot a doe through the lungs with a 4 blade muzzy once and did not find a single drop of blood between my arrow and where she lay dead 70 yards away. Did that muzzy fail? Nope, and despite the lack of a blood trail I didn't fail to find her either. Blood trail or not double lunged deer don't go far. Never, ever, lost a deer I double lunged with any broadhead. Not even close.

Man up and admit you lost a deer. Stop blaming the broadhead. Either you didn't make the shot you think you did or your recovery skills need some work.

Last edited by Todd1700; 10-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
And you need to get a clue. A field tip through both of a deers lungs = dead as Julius Caesar. If you put that broadhead in those photos through both of a deers lungs then it died. If it didn't die then you did not hit both lungs. It's just that simple. Two collapsed lungs equal DEATH, quickly and typically within 120 yards. Doesn't make a tinkers d#*& whether the holes in the lungs are 1/2 inch wide or 3 inches wide. Doesn't matter if they are round holes, two blade slits or 4 blade X's. DEAD!

I have shot deer through the lungs with many different broadheads. Some had great blood trails. Some not so good. I shot a doe through the lungs with a 4 blade muzzy once and did not find a single drop of blood between my arrow and where she lay dead 70 yards away. Did that muzzy fail? Nope, and despite the lack of a blood trail I didn't fail to find her either. Blood trail or not double lunged deer don't go far. Never, ever, lost a deer I double lunged with any broadhead. Not even close.

Man up and admit you lost a deer. Stop blaming the broadhead. Either you didn't make the shot you think you did or your recovery skills need some work.
More ad hominem, how typical.

Yes I lost the deer, have not denied that.
It's about the failures(rare) of RAGE heads to fully deploy on occasions.
This is a fact admitted by RAGE themselves, though not in public forums.

So please, you get a clue.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

More ad hominem, how typical.
Who told me to get over myself? I guess the ad homonym attacks only register with you if they are incoming. Anyway, I'll say this and I'm done with it.

Was that perfect deployment by that Rage head? Nope, but it did open to a diameter greater than most fixed heads and placed through the lungs that's a killer. So if you are saying that deer survived a double lung pass through from that head then you are mistaken. If that deer couldn't be found within a 200 yard grid pattern search then sorry you must have only got one lung. If you are blaming the head for a lack of a blood trail which made it difficult for you to find the deer then fine. But as I stated earlier I've have some terrible blood trails on double lung hits from even 4 blade fixed heads. Blood trails are weird that way. The good news is that with a double lung hit they don't go far enough to matter.

Also, despite all the hype a Rage is at the end of the day a two blade broadhead. I have used two blade heads out of my recurve (not Rages of course) and while they kill deer just as dead as anything else, two blade heads in general do not yield the blood trails that 3 and 4 blade heads do. I wouldn't call that a failure. Just the physics of a blade that makes a slit in something rather than a triangle shaped hole that tends to stay gapped open better.

Last edited by Todd1700; 10-15-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.