Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

They come with practice heads why are people shooting heads into targets???????
Another fantastic question.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onion721
Wowza, Rage can fail and they do fail, I've had one fail on me.
One blade did not deploy, even after the pass through on the ground impact.
I've harvested 2 other deer with the Rage, each of those cases the o-ring was gone upon arrow recovery.
The occasion of the lost deer the o-ring didn't even roll down the ferule and only the deployed side was broken.

Failures happen, Mechanical or not.
But I've never lost a deer with a Muzzy when shot placement was spot on.

Pics..

Originally Posted by Todd1700
If there was a definitively way to prove it one way or the other I would wager some serious cash that 99.9 % of the "it didn't open" stories are utter horse ###t or at the very least there are extenuating circumstances being left out of the story. For example, I encountered one guy online once that complained his mech heads were failing to open. After talking to him for a while it came to light that he had been shooting them into his target over and over again with the same blades and they had eventually started not opening. Well gee, no s### Sherlock.

Some questions to the guys reporting such issues.

Do you check your mech heads to see how easily the blades deploy before you shoot them? Hell, I check fixed heads over thoroughly to see that they are assembled properly and that the blades are sharp before they go in my quiver. I do the same with mech heads with the added step of working the blades. If you can easily open the blades with your fingers then it defies logic that they would fail to open on the target/deer.

Are you aware that a mech head that you shoot through a block style target will slam back shut if the head makes it out the back side of the target due to the deceleration of the arrow slamming to a rapid halt? It will also close when you pull it out of something like the target or the ground.

For those who claim to have lost a deer due to the failure of blades to deploy, if you didn't find the deer then how do you know? Also, a shot through the lungs will kill the hell out of a deer regardless of whether the blades open or not. Collapsed lungs are collapsed lungs irregardless of the shape of the hole.

I am not a huge Rage fan. I think the blades are often too wide for the power level of the average persons bow. But that said, they have some of the easiest deploying blades of any design out there. In fact the knock some people have on them is that they deploy "TOO" easy. Odd to hear people claiming that they don't open at all.
Can you argue the above pictures?

The more a broadhead has to be handled by the end user the more you open the door to failure.

Minimal human intervention/manipulation is a must.

The doe I shot with a rage had blood spraying out of both side.

I was so confident that I'd find her within fifty yards that i went and bought icebags before taking up the trail.
Only to find out the blood trail ended at 50 yards with nary a drop to find, that does was never recovered.

I did harvest 2 more deer with the last 2 heads, magnificent trail and I saw both animals go down.

I want reliability, set it and forget it is what I'm all about.

And who the heck pulls a mech head back through the target, I push mine the rest of the way through.

Well anyway I emailed RAGE, await their response.

Last edited by onion721; 10-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you argue the above pictures?
What aspect would you like me to argue? Are you saying that broadhead didn't open? If that head as it appears in the photos went through a deers vitals that deer would be dead. Now if you didn't get a pass through or deep enough penetration for a kill then that is another debate entirely with different things to consider. We have been discussing heads not opening here.

The more a broadhead has to be handled by the end user the more you open the door to failure.

I have no clue where this notion comes from but perhaps it's part of the problem. Any metal object produced by man can have a factory defect which could affect performance. A burr, an improperly drilled or machined hole, etc, etc. It is crucial to check out all broadheads before you launch them at an animal. And this simple function check (opening them with your fingers) will do nothing, I repeat "NOTHING" to make that head more prone to fail. In fact just the opposite. It's an assurance that it will work. Hell I have thrown away Muzzy's that would not spin true. You should check out all your hunting related gear before hitting the woods and broadheads are not an exception.

Minimal human intervention/manipulation is a must.
Another weird comment that makes no sense. Let me fix it for you. "Human intervention and manipulation of any broadhead to assure it's ready to hunt is an absolute must".
Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Spike

Todd1700, I agree with all of your comments 100%.

A few years back I bought a new set of chest waders from Scheels. I had a North Dakota duck hunting trip coming up in a few weeks and to be sure they worked, I tested them in our swimming pool. I am sure glad I did test them, because they leaked at a seam for the chest pocket. It is a MUST to try out all of your equipment before you head out to the field!

Would you buy a new bow package that already has a sight, rest, quiver, etc. and take it out hunting assuming that it is spot on? Of course not!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Talking

Originally Posted by onion721
What an appropriate name when you think about it "RAGE".

That's what staunch supporters do when their product is accused of failing on occasion.
We're all liars if we claim to have had a "RAGE" fail on us.
lol... Your right because my brother thinks it was funny what happened to me and he swears by them. He has taken a few deer with them.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LightsOut7026
Hey big bullets, I just started to use the Swhackers this year. I have always used Vortex 100gran, and those worked great.
If you connect, let us know if you heard the "shwack". Seriously, I would like to know how they work for you.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Todd your dead on here, i check every kind of broadhead before i take it into the field, let it be fixed or mechanical. and i do exactly what you do, work the blades untill they have to open on a deer.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Never had a problem and find it hard to believe they arent opening. The practice head doesnt expand, enough said...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
What aspect would you like me to argue? Are you saying that broadhead didn't open? If that head as it appears in the photos went through a deers vitals that deer would be dead. Now if you didn't get a pass through or deep enough penetration for a kill then that is another debate entirely with different things to consider. We have been discussing heads not opening here.

I have no clue where this notion comes from but perhaps it's part of the problem. Any metal object produced by man can have a factory defect which could affect performance. A burr, an improperly drilled or machined hole, etc, etc. It is crucial to check out all broadheads before you launch them at an animal. And this simple function check (opening them with your fingers) will do nothing, I repeat "NOTHING" to make that head more prone to fail. In fact just the opposite. It's an assurance that it will work. Hell I have thrown away Muzzy's that would not spin true. You should check out all your hunting related gear before hitting the woods and broadheads are not an exception.

Another weird comment that makes no sense. Let me fix it for you. "Human intervention and manipulation of any broadhead to assure it's ready to hunt is an absolute must".
Thank you, you validated my point.

That broadhead was a complete passthrough, double lung.
Like I said the blood trail was gone after 50 yards.

Every muzzy I've had has spun true eventually, different blade/tip config always fixes it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

Yep. That's why I tune my bow to shoot fixed blades. No worries about whether the blades will deploy or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.