Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Wow this comes up on every forum. If people would stop to think and understand there wouldnt be any reason for discussion on this topic.

1. if you dont find your deer then stop and dont say anything cause you dont know what happened or where you hit.

2. does not matter if the o-ring slides down the shaft, it will still open.

3. the biggest complaint about rages is them NOT staying closed

4. if you test the blades to make sure they move freely it is impossible for them not to open!

5. yes there are people that use mechanicals as tuning band aids but what about guys like me and my buddies? I shoot rages, slick tricks, thunderheads, ect. I always tune with fixed heads. Doesnt matter if I dont plan on hunting with them but I do make sure my bow is as tuned as possible.

6. most people use setups with to low KE to even shoot them in the first place. Ive never NOT had a pass thru mostly due to shooting heavy arrows and my bows are tuned.

7. blade sharpness not as sharp as others, blades bend easily, blade change can be a pain in the arse

8. this is all fact from what I (and my hunting group, friends, coworkers) have seen. Between us all I have no idea how many deer have died using rages. Shot placement is #1 no matter the head. I cant think of one deer we have lost with rage. The very few we have lost includes all types of heads (fixed, mechanical) and every one was a bad shot that no one blamed on the broadhead or equipment.

9. am I rage fan? Not at all. I jump on no bandwagons nor place blame on anything that I cant 100% prove. I like testing heads. Next up is ramcats
Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

when you shot one the blade rams into the ferrule and nicks it. If you don't clean up that nick the ring won't sit right.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Well I have nothing bad to say about these heads (100 grain 2 blade- 2" cut) I broadhead tuned with fixed blades, and went with a mechicanical to try them out. Ive taken two deer at about 15-20 yards with them. Both werent the greatest shots unfortunately. But both deer had massive blood loss and didnt make it 40 yards away. I cant think of anything but a really bad shot would cause you to loose a deer with these. Now that being said in my eyes they arnt that re-useable. Ive dammaged some from hitting those animals, also some from pass through- ground contact, and I need more o-rings. My only fear is one will open in flight (may have happened already?) And the blades on mine chatter a little while holding the bow.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by louie6014
But both deer had massive blood loss and didnt make it 40 yards away. I cant think of anything but a really bad shot would cause you to loose a deer with these. Now that being said in my eyes they arnt that re-useable. Ive dammaged some from hitting those animals, also some from pass through- ground contact, and I need more o-rings. My only fear is one will open in flight (may have happened already?) And the blades on mine chatter a little while holding the bow.
Brother shot a deer and hit the shoulder, the arrow seemed to bounce off the deer. It didn't bounce off but the head snapped off at the threads and the arrow bounced out. He's seen it all and that was a new one for him. He found the head in the animal.

Never had a head snap off there, arrows break, but not the head. He's amazed at the pile of blood too.

They are a noisy head and do make a racket when they open in flight. They are kind of like a high maintanence woman you can't get out of your mind. Worth it, but always needs something.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Ford in my cases which I was on both hunts both were in the woods and close range shots within 25 yards. I wish I would have taken pics. Both deer were toast but no blood trails. Entry angles were pretty high too so I take that into the equation also but I would have thought with seeing those two hits that one would have passed through.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs
Ford in my cases which I was on both hunts both were in the woods and close range shots within 25 yards. I wish I would have taken pics. Both deer were toast but no blood trails. Entry angles were pretty high too so I take that into the equation also but I would have thought with seeing those two hits that one would have passed through.
Having a high entry hole would definitely explain the no blood. I agree though, you'd think out of those bow set ups that one of them could get a pass through at 25 yards or less.