Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Some Punk(s) Stole my Treestand >

Some Punk(s) Stole my Treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some Punk(s) Stole my Treestand

Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Spike

use a climbing tree stand wolf makes one thats not heavy at all
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I also had a stand up on an adjoining private property, about 100 yards onto their property. I had permission to hunt the property and hang the stand from the land owner, but the hunters who leased the property to hunt took the stand down and placed it on the property line in tact and all the pieces together. While i was not happy about all my wasted time i do respect the fact that they didn't steal the stand and didn't tamper with it. I was actually extremely happy with the hunters and have a great deal of respect for what they did. If taking down a stand was solely for the fact of hunting territory or "owning the woods" this is a good alternative to stealing the stand. Stealing a stand is straight up wrong and is as low life as can be.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by texasprowler
use a climbing tree stand wolf makes one thats not heavy at all
Just bought a lone wolf. Magnificent! It's not as comfortable as my previous climber, but it is:

- light
- compact
- nearly silent to hook up and climb/descend

Should have bought one years ago. Well worth the money I spent on it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

bummer,

I mostly carry mine in and out of WMAs...not only because of theft..but because it gives me the freedom to change my mind and hunt another area if the wind isn't right ..or if I decide to change my mind.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt so far in the swamp you would have to be crazy to steal my stand. I do use both leaners and climbers in public WMA's but I still lock them to a tree with a heavy chain or cable and pad lock. If they go threw that much trouble let em have it. bike locks arn't very secure honestly...

it must have been a fancy stand with all the bells and whistles close to a road lol sorry about your luck.We have a rule that says stand have to be taken off the last day of the season and cannot be put on the WMA untill the day before. If you left it out there all year I could see how this would higher the chances of it getting stolen.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 09-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
I scouted a new place recently and followed a trail, turned out to be a guy who'd just hung a stand. No markers needed some times. It was public land too. Guy even used screw in steps. This is what I'm talking about. The guy is acting like he owns the place and even the tree. What steps were you using?

Think about this. if everyone started claiming trees no one would be able to hunt who didn't squat in one. Leaving your stuff behind is stealing. Kind of like using the center of the road to park your car because it's a really good place to park. You can't leave your car parked for deer season on a public ground. Soon the dnr will start confiscating stands that will be required by law to have some kind of ownership label and holding them charging the hunter for having to haul (tow) it away.

Take your stuff in and take it out. No, it's not too bad you can't leave your stuff there all season and no I don't remove anyones crap.

There's a local public land that has one tree covering an open field and some bone head leaves his stand there.
How is it "stealing" to leave your stand in a tree? Last I checked there are very few areas that only have one tree. And most stands that are left behind are regularly hunted by others who found them. I wouldn't set up a permanent stand on public land for exactly that reason.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
How is it "stealing" to leave your stand in a tree? Last I checked there are very few areas that only have one tree. And most stands that are left behind are regularly hunted by others who found them. I wouldn't set up a permanent stand on public land for exactly that reason.
i think nodog is saying you are occupying a spot that could be used by someone else if you are not there. so you are "stealing a perfectly good spot" and not using it?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Like the other thread u can always find him and shoot him if you live in Texas. Get a climber, hunt the area, question everyone. Chances r that someone saw the same deer that u did and he will be back but with your climber the signs of u returning will not be there. Good Luck.