Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer can hear arrow first? Not! >

Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Old 08-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

I don' t really care about this subject and I think some hairs are being split, but just a quick point (and split one more)

Rack-attack;

the doppler effect explains changes in pitch, not volume. a train coming towards you has a higher pitch. Due to the distance getting shorter it will also get louder over time as it gets closer, but that is not doppler.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:19 PM

Rack the doppler effect is when sound waves crowed other sound waves.You here the train in the distance as it gets closer and it croweds out any low frequecies in the area.What did u hear first the train in the distance because it came first in order for the doppler effect to work on the bow sound both sounds the bow an arrow would have to be made together.The arrow would have to travel faster than the speed of sound to over take it.The medium desides the speed not volume.If the deer is within bow range he hears the bow first .I do agree that the arrow sound will scare him more and he is probable jumping the arrow sound not the bow sound but he hears the bow first.It also stands to reason that we should shoot the most quietes arrows that would be plastic vane with a mecanical broadhead.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa! I was having fun reading this topic until I realized some are serious about a deer jumping the " whizzing" of an oncoming arrow rather than the sound of a bow. By the time the deer might hear the arrow its too late, unless perhaps its a very long shot.

Bullsi, you seriously think shooting a mechanical broadhead will make the arrow quieter? LOL. That is not a valid reason to shoot mechanicals. []
Old 08-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Though I agree with the sound situation as presented here there is one factor that has not been mentioned. There is an intangible curiosity in every game animal we hunt.

I believe the animal hears the bow and release first then perhjaps the arrow, sometimes they even hear us drawing the bow, but generally, before they react, they try to identify the source then react. With the exception of bears, most animals will duck or drop their whole body as they are springing into action allowing us the displeasure of seeing our arrow flying just over the animals back.

Even driving an automobile it takes a period of time for us to react; so too game animals. I believe their reaction time is slower than ours and this allows for the clean, quick killing shots that we all pray for.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:23 PM

Guys take a chill pill were just killin time untill killin time. And yes Cougar mag-A mecanical broadhead is quieter that a fix or vented broadhead. how does a arrow make sound as it flys it pushes air and as air flows over its body it vibrates air. Which arrow has less suface resistance.Feather vanes with a fix or vented broadhead or a plastic vanes with a mecanical head. the one with mecanical. there is less wind resistance.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:46 AM

Ah! The ever-amazing phenomenon of the Internet.

One minute, a person does not know anything -or but a wee bit, about physics and has to pose questions about the science, further indicated (lack of knowledge) by posting comments framed as a question; but within two or three posts, the same person now speaks as an intellectual authority on the very subject.

If the higher institutions of learning were to solve the mystery and use the same method, people could acquire a Ph.D. in a week.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whoa! I was having fun reading this topic until I realized some are serious about a deer jumping the " whizzing" of an oncoming arrow rather than the sound of a bow. By the time the deer might hear the arrow its too late, unless perhaps its a very long shot.

Bullsi, you seriously think shooting a mechanical broadhead will make the arrow quieter? LOL. That is not a valid reason to shoot mechanicals.
cougar when you shoot a bow at a deer there is a continous sound that the deer will hear, first the bow, then the arrow through its entire flight, the quieter your arrow, the less overall noise, hence as rack attack states plastic vanes are quieter than feathers and a mechanical is far quieter in flight than a fixed head. You are right though in regards to shots 20 yards and under as far as it doesn' t matter much, but if your aiming for the lower 1/3 of the boiler room it won' t matter at all if they jump the string, if they don' t jump it you double lung them low and maybe get the heart as a bonus, if they do jump it, you still get a nice clean double lung through the middle of thier lungs.

BTW that is one of the valid reasons for shooting mechs, in addition to they do not plane and are not affected by the wind as drastically as a fixed blade.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:25 AM

C903 Im sorry if I came off sounding like a authority on this stuff. Im just going by what I learned in collage and what I`ve read. I am no professor or expert on this topic. Yes this may be petty stuff, but what are we doing on this form? Im just killin time untill killin time. I no it dosent matter what the deer hear first as long as he`s dead. And again Im sorry if I offended u. Maybe u could explan your theory on this a little more detail so we can see your point.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to go as quiet as possible with a fixed blade head. Try a non-vented blade. - Very quiet.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:56 AM

I like this thred. I just was thinking of the time elements involved.

250 fps for the arrow so time to impact at 20 yards is .24sec

The sound of the shot gets to the deer in .062937 sec

The time that the deer has to .177063 sec

Conduction time of nerves is approx 250mph or 366 ft per sec = .00546 sec

Process time in the brain for a deer can be as short as = .001sec.

Time to travel to the muscles at 366 ft/sec = .01092 sec

Total time untill the deer reacts from the sound of the shot = .15968

So how far can a deer move in .15968 sec? (at 300fps you can - .04 sec from this)

These figures include that the deer was aware at the sound of the shot. Not relaxed. IF the deer were relaxed I would think that you could subtract another .1 of a sec for the time that the deer became aware.

(by no means are these figures 100% accurate. I just did a little math on the spreadsheet)

Quick Reply: Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.