Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer can hear arrow first? Not! >

Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Old 08-11-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

I read the tread were Bees and C903 said the deer hear the arrow before the bow. How can this be? The speed of sound is 1,129 fps an arrow about 280 fps. The bow makes the first sound,then the arrow as it picks up speed makes a sound. How does the sound of the arrow passes the sound of the bow sound? And if this is true why did I buy Limb savers and string Silcencers?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Take 2 bows shooting a similiar arrow at the same speed. Bow A is quiet and bow B is noisey. See which bow and arrow combination gets the most reaction?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:22 AM

Whoa! Ease up, bullsi. You are getting all rattled over petty stuff.

In the other thread, I was referring to the sound from a noisy arrow getting out in front of the arrow.

Whether the sound of string-slap beats the sound of a noisy (whirring or fluttering) arrow that has been cast by the string that slapped, is a moot point.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a nutshell the bow does make a sound that the deer hears first, but that sound ends very quickly, however an arrow that is noisy will make the noise the entire time it is in flight and the deer will hear it easier than the bow because the arrow is getting closer to the deer (If you made a good shot it will anyhow).
Old 08-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, when I hear compounders shoot their bows, the first thing I hear is their release opening. Then when I hear someone shooting without a release it seems like something is missing ' cause I didn' t hear that click of the release opening.

Brandan
Old 08-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-12-2003, 08:23 AM

Whether the the bow is quiter than the arrow has nothing to do with it. The sound of both are travling at the same speed because they are traveling throught the same substance(air). Sound waves as it moves through air travels in all directions,does the arrow sound move ahead of the bow sound? NO. Just be cacuse its loader does not mean its moving faster. The deers hearing is far better than us so he hears both the bow being first. Both sounds travel the same distance the higer the decibels may be heard better at longer distance but both sounds are there and seeing how a deers hearing is far better than ours under 45yrds which one do you think he hears first? The bow. Or string silencers and limb savers would be moot. And a alert deer make no differants whether its the quiet thump of a bow our a wizzing sound of an arrow -they both will scare him.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Spike

as long as the deer is dead after the shot who cares what it hears.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:20 AM

Any of you guys ever hear of the doppler effect??

A train moving towards you is much louder than a train moving away from you
Old 08-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

If my arrow flies through the woods, and there are no deer there to hear it, do I still have to count it as a miss?

Quick Reply: Deer can hear arrow first? Not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.