Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Guy caught in the act stealing tree stand. >

Guy caught in the act stealing tree stand.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guy caught in the act stealing tree stand.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uphunter08
meh. The problem is that it's entirely subjective. Most people aren't qualified to make law enforcement decision on somebody else's property, much less their own (because it's more emotionally based if it's your stuff). Perfect example:

I come across a stand laying in the woods that someone else had attempted to steal (perhaps they heard the owner approaching and ditched the stand at the last minute so they wouldn't get caught). I pick it up with the intention of turning it over to law enforcement in order to get it back to the rightful owner. On the way out of the woods, i come across pissed-off halfbaked who mistakenly thinks that i'm the one the stole his stand...and he shoots me in the back 'because that's the way we handle things in texas!'

even in texas, you're likely going to go to jail and face a civil suit. If a le officer discharges his weapon, there's a lengthy investigation into the circumstances. You don't think there would be something similar in this instance? You're a fool if you think you can just shoot someone and justify doing so over a petty property crime. Even in texas.

that is why castle laws are restricted entirely to home invasion and immediate threats to person and property. There is no imminent threat when someone is walking away with your property. It's also why many people are (successfully) sued in states like texas when they're taken the castle law to extremes, like halfbake suggests. The issue of reasonable measures comes into play. Go ahead and shoot someone in the back, halfbaked, and see if you don't have your ass sued off over it. Even in texas. Get a grip. As satisfying as it might be for you to handle it yourself, vigilantism gets society nowhere over the long term.

Unless they're actually pointing a weapon at you, let law enforcement deal with it.

just being on my land, puts your life endanger...maybe you dont realize that you look like a yote to me. Ya shouldnt be finding my stand on my property anyways, makes you just as guilty as the guy who takes it down to steal it...btw, dead people dont sue. And if yer gettin shot in the back, its cause ya took off running because you know you were in the wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Wow! You sound like so much like a ticked off teenager here.

I don't need to steal other peoples "stuff", as you put it. My wife and I are both retired Navy and now we both work at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I was taught as a child that it was wrong to steal, the Navy sure as hell didn't tolerate thieves, and the type of men and women that work here at St. Jude aren't the type that steal from each other. I have zero tolerance for thieves and I also have a low tolerance for the incoherent babblings of disrespectful children.

That being said, maybe you should go find that missing chromosome. That might fix you right up.

Is there a intelligent reason for the last statement?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kyboydbowhunter
Is there a intelligent reason for the last statement?
Read the post right above your last one. That's a good enough reason for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

maybe the guy shouldnt have shot him but I bet he thinks twice next time before trying it again .
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

I come across a stand laying in the woods that someone else had attempted to steal (perhaps they heard the owner approaching and ditched the stand at the last minute so they wouldn't get caught). I pick it up with the intention of turning it over to law enforcement in order to get it back to the rightful owner. On the way out of the woods, i come across pissed-off halfbaked who mistakenly thinks that i'm the one the stole his stand...and he shoots me in the back 'because that's the way we handle things in texas!'

HALFBAKED I am sure in this statment he is speaking in a hypothetical term that he was on public land and found the stand. I could be wrong. He was trying to do the right thing and he got shot. You shot an innocent person doing a good deed.

You may live in Texas but you still live in my world. Shoot first and ask questions later, that can never go wrong. You are right, dead people don't sue, let me think maybe he has children or a wife, I am sure that has never happened oh wait it happens all the damn time. Nicole Simpson did not sue OJ but her family sure as hell did and won. Doesn't matter you are just going to come back with a rant about if you touch my stuff I am going to kill you. You go on and continue that idea and when you kill someone who walked on your land and you kill him becasue he took your game camera please have fun defending yourself in court and spending money on a lawyer and court cost and if you do get off think of how much it actually cost you to kill the guy. Or if you go to prison think of the good it did. He is in the ground and you are in cell. Who really won.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alltlk4
i come across a stand laying in the woods that someone else had attempted to steal (perhaps they heard the owner approaching and ditched the stand at the last minute so they wouldn't get caught). I pick it up with the intention of turning it over to law enforcement in order to get it back to the rightful owner. On the way out of the woods, i come across pissed-off halfbaked who mistakenly thinks that i'm the one the stole his stand...and he shoots me in the back 'because that's the way we handle things in texas!'

halfbaked i am sure in this statment he is speaking in a hypothetical term that he was on public land and found the stand. I could be wrong. He was trying to do the right thing and he got shot. You shot an innocent person doing a good deed.

You may live in texas but you still live in my world. Shoot first and ask questions later, that can never go wrong. You are right, dead people don't sue, let me think maybe he has children or a wife, i am sure that has never happened oh wait it happens all the damn time. Nicole simpson did not sue oj but her family sure as hell did and won. Doesn't matter you are just going to come back with a rant about if you touch my stuff i am going to kill you. You go on and continue that idea and when you kill someone who walked on your land and you kill him becasue he took your game camera please have fun defending yourself in court and spending money on a lawyer and court cost and if you do get off think of how much it actually cost you to kill the guy. Or if you go to prison think of the good it did. He is in the ground and you are in cell. Who really won.
certainly not on public land....agreed...if ya like your stuff, take it with you. If ya leave it in the public area, ya shouldnt be surprised if azzholes take it.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going back to the 1st post. Not that I'm saying its true but its just simply amazing about the responses and the controversy this causes.

Remarkably he shot the man in the back of the knee cap and left him. Later to see him crawling to his buddy get away truck without a stand but a muzzy 100 grain fixed blade arrow in his leg.
So this guy shot him, then maybe decided to hunt for a little while, and why wouldn't he, he sounds like a marksman with that bow, then maybe decided to go home and seen this guy crawling out.....never did say he went to confront him. The crawling guy must have been too fast for this guy to catch up with.

But then why would ya try to catch him??? Attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon versus tresspassing and theft of a treestand(unless it was one of those GOLD treestands which would make it a felony instead of a misdemeanor).

Yep, I must be wrong in my head. After this subject I decided to quit my job, put up a 34' fence, surveillance cameras and all I do is drive around my land just to make sure my $100 treestand stays where its suppose to. Who cares about my kids having a dad or my wife having a husband. I still have my treestand.

Maybe a few on here are just voicing, just to see the controversy continue. If thats the way halfbaked, you see is the way to control your land then so be it. Maybe its all about Texas? You guys are the right ones and the rest of us are wrong. But then again maybe we are the smarter ones to get away from the Texas way of enforcement?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alltlk4

HALFBAKED I am sure in this statment he is speaking in a hypothetical term that he was on public land and found the stand. I could be wrong. He was trying to do the right thing and he got shot. You shot an innocent person doing a good deed.

You may live in Texas but you still live in my world. Shoot first and ask questions later, that can never go wrong. You are right, dead people don't sue, let me think maybe he has children or a wife, I am sure that has never happened oh wait it happens all the damn time. Nicole Simpson did not sue OJ but her family sure as hell did and won. Doesn't matter you are just going to come back with a rant about if you touch my stuff I am going to kill you. You go on and continue that idea and when you kill someone who walked on your land and you kill him becasue he took your game camera please have fun defending yourself in court and spending money on a lawyer and court cost and if you do get off think of how much it actually cost you to kill the guy. Or if you go to prison think of the good it did. He is in the ground and you are in cell. Who really won.
Yeah it is sad though that people can steal your stuff and when you let the courts handle they are out the next week to steal again.

I am simply retelling a "story" I heard, I dont give a darn if it is true or not that is what I heard so there is no use trying to prove it wrong I dont care.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
X2....Fact he should not have been stealing the stand,but, what the other guy did was not called for. Yeah he was caught stealing the stand but the punishment did not fit the crime. My .02 cents

CVG Ohio

If someone steals from me, they better be ready to bite the bullet!!! i aplaud the man that shoots a thief!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Spike

If it was his property and properly posted I see no wrong doing. If he has kids I hope he teaches them not to steal and end up crippled like him. This all could have been avoided by not messing with something that don't belong to him. For everyone that thinks justice was not served, think of something you own that you would not want to part with. Now let someone come and steal it and reply back to this thread after you call the police and let them handle it to get your property back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.